Readonly CIFS share to hidden zfs/snapshot folder bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glipman

Dabbler
I have set up hourly snapshots on my dataset.

As an experiment I created a readonly CIFS share to the hidden zfs/snapshot folder of my dataset by pointing it to /mnt/tank/MYDATA/.zfs/snapshot
Through this share I get very convenient access to older versions of my data with folders like auto-20160322.1700-2w

It seems to be working fine but somehow it feels wrong. Is there any risk in doing this?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have set up hourly snapshots on my dataset.

As an experiment I created a readonly CIFS share to the hidden zfs/snapshot folder of my dataset by pointing it to /mnt/tank/MYDATA/.zfs/snapshot
Through this share I get very convenient access to older versions of my data with folders like auto-20160322.1700-2w

It seems to be working fine but somehow it feels wrong. Is there any risk in doing this?
Why not just use 'previous versions' in explorer?

glipman

Dabbler
Why not just use 'previous versions' in explorer?
  • This machine is a backup target receiving replicated snapshots only. There are no scheduled snapshots on this machine so the 'previous versions' will not work
  • I cannot live without Total Commander as a replacement for the Explorer. Selecting a folder in a share feels much more natural than using a context menu with previous versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.