How Should i Upgrade my Hard Drive Storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

micmilk

Cadet
Hello all,
I have tried searching for help on this forum and many others but never really found a good answer for my needs.
I am running FreeNAS 11.1 on vmware 6.0. I Started out with a 2TB Disk for it months ago and now it is getting full. I picked up another 4TB NAS drive on sale and added it to my system. I added the new HD to my vmware, then my FreeNAS Volume(see picture). I was hoping once i added the extra 4TB, i could expand the dataset, but i can't.
So now i need some help about what i do from now on. The perfect case is to add 4tb on top of my already 2 TB but worst case is just to move everything over to the new 4TB.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

FreeNAS 1.PNG
FreeNas 2.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Post the output of zpool status

garm

Wizard
Do you care about the data being stored, or is it “volatile”?

micmilk

Cadet
@Jailer
Code:
state: ONLINE																
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 02:51:09 with 0 errors on Sun Jan 21 02:51:09
config:																		

NAME										  STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM
	   Volume1									   ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		 gptid/67ec9d65-5fa3-11e7-ad8b-000c297e45e3  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		 gptid/f9f43874-fd3f-11e7-b2cc-000c297e45e3  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0

errors: No known data errors													

pool: freenas-boot															
 state: ONLINE																
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:00:34 with 0 errors on Sat Jan 20 03:45:34
config:																		

NAME		STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM								
	   freenas-boot  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								
		 da0p2	 ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								

errors: No known data errors

@garm
Yes i do care about it. I have my computers backups on there as long as my media storage. Most is not replaceable.

Last edited by a moderator:

garm

Wizard
Then you need atleast mirror vdevs for redundancy. Most people here will recommend RAIDZ2 vdevs 6-8 wide. For the size of pool you require I would run mirrors myself.

It also looks like you have a 1 TB and 4 TB drive striped together. That means if you loose any one or those (and running VMware that makes that more likely) you will loose the entire pool

micmilk

Cadet
I don't care about redundancy right now. All i care about is adding more storage right now.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yes i do care about it. I have my computers backups on there as long as my media storage. Most is not replaceable.
This statement
I don't care about redundancy right now. All i care about is adding more storage right now.
And this statement are in complete conflict with each other.

If I were you I would find somewhere to offload this data and rebuild this pool properly with some redundancy. Make sure you read up a bit on proper pool configuration before creating your pool and adding critical data that you can't lose.

micmilk

Cadet
My original question is just to add storage to my pool. I care about it as in i'm not going to delete it and start from scratch.
Please stay on topic as i am not worried about redundancy. Only getting more storage since i'm running out.
Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.