Expanding Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjparenteau

Explorer
Currently I have 5x1TB disks running in RAIDZ1 and end up with 4TB of fully redundant storage which is perfect, although I am now running out of space... I have an additional 1TB drive I would like to add to the mix while maintaining redundancy and all that fun stuff. Documentation looks like I can do this, however when I go to the volume manager and select the volume I want to expand, then select the drive I want to add, it gives me a warning that all data will be cleared...

Forgive my noobness, but is this speaking of just the drive I am adding? Or is it wanting to rebuild the entire array with the new drive added in? Obviously I would rather not have to pull all that data off the NAS just to rebuild the array, but let me know your thoughts. Is there a better way I could go about expanding the storage or am I in the right area?

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

gpsguy

Unfortunately, you can't the additional 1Tb disk to your configuration and maintain the redundancy.

Read Cyberjock's slideshow and the manual for more details.

Please don't even try to add the disk, before reading the documentation. Too many people have done it, only to find out they extended the pool and ended up with a RAIDZ1 array and a single drive. If the latter dies, so does the entire pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.