SOLVED How Can a Jail Mount Point View Differ from the Direct View?

eewiz

Explorer
Hello All
Core 13.0-U5, 32GB Memory, Xeon E3-1200 4-core, 128K SSD boot, 1-vdev of 12-8TB spinners RAIDZ2

Here is what I did.
I had a "Video" dataset that contained a "Movies" folder and other folders that I won't mention for brevity.
I renamed the "Movies" folder to "Movies1".
I created a new "Movies" dataset inside the "video" dataset.
I copied all of the files from the "Movies1" folder to the newly created "Movies" dataset.
Used Space went up.
I created a new "Movies@snapshot".
I removed the "Movies1" folder from the "videos" dataset.
I deleted all old "videos@snapshots"
Used Space returned to normal.

The issue is:
No files can be seen in the "Movies" dataset from any mount point.
The files that reside inside the "Movies" dataset, that resides inside the "video" dataset, can not be seen through a mount point.
Why permit datasets within datasets if mount points can't see any of the files in child datasets?

Here is some evidence of my research:
In all of the following directory listings, .... means that everything except "Movies" has been removed for brevity.
DIRECT = View from the Root filesystem DIRECT to the "video" dataset:
MOUNT POINT = View from the Root filesystem through a Jail's MOUNT POINT to the "video" dataset:

DIRECT:
Code:
root@plum[/mnt/pool/eds]# ls -l
total 339
drwxrwxrwx+ 10 root  wheel  10 Jun 28 06:51 video

Jail UP - MOUNT POINT:
Code:
root@plum[/mnt/pool/iocage/jails/videoj/root/mnt]# ls -l
total 56
drwxrwxrwx+ 10 root  wheel  10 Jun 28 06:51 video

Both viewpoints above have similar results.
"video" is a dataset.

DIRECT:
Code:
root@plum[/mnt/pool/eds]# cd video
root@plum[/mnt/pool/eds/video]# ls -l
total 225
drwxrwxrwx+  28 root  wheel   28 Jun 25 03:07 Movies

"Movies" is is also a dataset.

Jail UP - MOUNT POINT:
Code:
root@plum[/mnt/pool/iocage/jails/videoj/root/mnt]# cd video
root@plum[...ol/iocage/jails/videoj/root/mnt/video]# ls -l
total 152
drwxrwxrwx+ 2 root  wheel  2 Jun 24 18:58 Movies

The "Movies" item above is that same dataset but now, things have changed.
Please notice that the time stamps differ between the two views.
Code:
drwxrwxrwx+  28 root  wheel   28 Jun 25 03:07 Movies <- DIRECT = Jun 25 03:07
drwxrwxrwx+ 2 root  wheel  2 Jun 24 18:58 Movies <- MOUNT POINT = Jun 24 18:58

Via DIRECT, the "Movies" dataset contains 28 items, . and .. as well as 26 folders.
Via MOUNT POINT, the "Movies" dataset contains only 2 items, . and ..
Via MOUNT POINT, the "Movies" dataset appears to be empty.
Code:
root@plum[...ol/iocage/jails/videoj/root/mnt/video]# cd Movies
root@plum[...ge/jails/videoj/root/mnt/video/Movies]# ls -l
total 0

I don't understand how this can happen.

I removed the "videoj" mount point and rebooted TrueNAS.
I recreated the "videoj" mount point and nothing appears to have changed.
Then I stripped all of the "video" dataset's ACL's from the "Storage/Pools" dialog, Recursive and Traverse.
Now it gets really weird.

DIRECT:
Code:
root@plum[/mnt/pool/eds/video]# ls -l
total 225
drwxrwxrwx   28 root  wheel   28 Jun 25 03:07 Movies

Please notice above that there are no longer any ACL's as expected.

Jail UP - MOUNT POINT:
Code:
root@plum[...ol/iocage/jails/videoj/root/mnt/video]# ls -l
total 152
drwxrwxrwx+ 2 root  wheel  2 Jun 24 18:58 Movies

Yet, when viewed through the mount point, the ACL's are back.

If I edit ACL's from the "Mount Points of videoj" dialog, I have ACL's
If I edit ACL's from the "Storage/Pools" dialog, I have no ACL's.
How can that happen?

DIRECT:
Code:
root@plum[/mnt/pool/eds/video]# zfs list -t all -r /mnt/pool/eds/video
NAME                                                     USED  AVAIL     REFER  MOUNTPOINT
pool/eds/video                                          28.8T  22.5T     6.41M  /mnt/pool/eds/video
pool/eds/video/Movies                                   5.98T  22.5T     5.98T  /mnt/pool/eds/video/Movies
pool/eds/video/Movies@auto-2023-06-25_06-50                0B      -     5.97T  -
pool/eds/video/Movies@auto-2023-06-25_09-10                0B      -     5.97T  -
pool/eds/video/Movies@auto-2023-06-26_09-10                0B      -     5.97T  -
pool/eds/video/Movies@auto-2023-06-27_09-10                0B      -     5.97T  -
pool/eds/video/Movies@auto-2023-06-28_09-10              622K      -     5.98T  -

Jail UP - MOUNT POINT:
Code:
root@plum[/mnt/pool/eds/video]# zfs list -t all -r /mnt/pool/iocage/jails/videoj/root/mnt/video
'/mnt/pool/iocage/jails/videoj/root/mnt/video': not a ZFS filesystem

How can a mount point to the "/mnt/pool/eds/video" dataset show different results from the actual "/mnt/pool/eds/video"?

At this point I realize the reason.
The mount point to .../video/Movies does not see the "Movies" dataset.
It sees the empty "Movies" folder that underlies the "Movies" dataset.
I don't know if this a quirk of TrueNAS or it's the work of ZFS.
But, every ZFS dataset on TrueNAS has an underlying empty folder of the same name.

Try it for yourself.
If you unmount a ZFS dataset from the CLI and do an "ls -l", you will see an empty folder with the same name as the dataset that was just unmounted.
Any dataset, all datasets.
Reboot TrueNAS and your dataset(s) are back.
But know full well that that empty folder that underlies a dataset is still there.

What I need to know is how to fix it so mount points correctly address nested datasets not an underlying empty folder?
If you nest a third dataset like ".../video/Movies/test", the "test" dataset is not at all reachable through a mount point to ".../video".
The trail stops at the empty ".../video/Movies" folder when viewed through a mount point to ".../video".

This would mean that jailed applications cannot work with nested datasets.
I hope that that can't possibly be correct.

Please, does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank You

sretalla