How best to create Jails in 11.1-U5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeganTheNas

Cadet
So 11.1-U5 removed the beta UI. Which means that creating and managing iocage jails simply through the UI is now out of the question.

The Warden templates broke a while ago in a previous 11.1 update; so creating new Warden based jails is pretty broken too.

So... is there really no alternative now than to try using the CLI for jail creation / management?

That's really not preferred option, but as far as I can see, they've left us with no choice...

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
It's really not that difficult to create and manage iocage jails via the CLI. The link below is an excellent post by @dan35 on how to create a plex jail but applies to any jail you want to create.

Could do with some guidance on iocage

MeganTheNas

Cadet
Will that then show up in the new UI, and function perfectly if I then manage it through the UI, whenever the new UI re-appears?
I've had encounters before with some software where if you manage it outside of its UI it won't recognise any changes made, or it might try and recognise it but then corrupts it if you then try and change it through the UI.

The reason I went with FreeNAS in the first place was so I could have a works out of the box system without having to touch the command line more than strictly necessary (ie just in initial setup). But in this case it seems like iX have really left GUI jails users up the creek, so to speak.

Alecmascot

Guru
But in this case it seems like iX have really left GUI jails users up the creek, so to speak.
No they did not.
All the early adopters piled in to the pre-beta new gui and started setting up unsupported iocage jails. Then whinged that it did not work... surprise surprise.
Unless there is a strong reason to upgrade Freenas then just sit tight and wait for it all to come good in 11.2, or 11.2-U1 :)

danb35

Hall of Famer

danb35

Hall of Famer
started setting up unsupported iocage jails.
Yeah, not so much. iocage has been "supported" since 9.10.1. It's even in the manual.
Then whinged that it did not work
The word is "whined", and again, not so much.

The problem is that iX has left its users in a no-win situation with respect to jails. They can stay with warden, and therefore stay with its FreeBSD 11.0 template (since iX hasn't built a 11.1 template, presumably since full iocage support is coming Real Soon Now (tm)), which is EOL'd and causes problems installing software. Or they can use iocage, and have a current OS template, but have broken networking--the last four releases, at a minimum, have had broken networking, and all four of them are broken in different ways.

Redcoat

MVP
@danb35, maybe @Alecmascot is from Oz. :) From the Australian Oxford Paperback Dictionary: whinge - v. (whinged, whinging) to whine, to grumble persistently - n. a whine or grumble.

danb35

Hall of Famer
whinge - v. (whinged, whinging) to whine, to grumble persistently
Wasn't it Churchill who said we are two peoples, divided by a common language?

@danb35, maybe @Alecmascot is from Oz. :) From the Australian Oxford Paperback Dictionary: whinge - v. (whinged, whinging) to whine, to grumble persistently - n. a whine or grumble.

hmmmm really do learn something new everyday.....

Status
Not open for further replies.