Help with ZFS datasets for NFS

cwesterfield

Cadet
If I understand datasets, each one acts like its own filesystem.

In my usual workflow, large files will be pulled down into an NFS share, and when complete, moved to another folder. I imagine this is pretty common.

I think this means that putting my download folder and final location folder in the same dataset would be a good idea.

Planning.png

If this is a bad idea, please explain. This is my first dive into Freenas or ZFS, so all info is welcome.

One question I have is for the NFS mounts. For the computer controlling the downloads to be able to just reassign file index locatios instead of actually moving the data to different sectors, should I have a single NFS export to the entire dataset (Media_DL)?

On my QNAP I have a mount for each folder, but I think that requires it to actually move the files which would be much slower.

Thoughts?

pro lamer

Guru
large files will be pulled down
What way? Is the space being preallocated? (Bad idea with cow - copy on write FS) Are the files' blocks transferred like a continuous stream (I can't remember the proper word) or in a random order (like Torrent) ?

Leaving other questions with no answer, maybe someone else or later, my apologies.

Sent from my phone

cwesterfield

Cadet
Currently I'm using a SSD I had laying around in it's own dataset for a temp directory, then the whole file goes to my pre-freenas storage on a QNAP.

Once the file is fully downloaded then the files get organized and placed in their final resting place on the Freenas MEDIA_DL Dataset.

The middle step will likely be removed, but I'm not sure the best way without causing a ton of fragmentation.

File Flow.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Torrent clients usually have an option to pre-allocate the file (some even dropped the option and exclusively do that) in order to avoid massive file fragmentation.

If you're sharing the temp and completed locations from the same dataset (and the same NFS share), then you will avoid an additional write of the file as the torrent client can just do a mv operation, which will only touch the metadata, not the bits on the disk.

If your media folder is in another dataset, this will be a copy only once finished, so no fragmentation in addition from that.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Torrent clients usually have an option to pre-allocate the file (some even dropped the option and exclusively do that) in order to avoid massive file fragmentation.

That works on a traditional filesystem, but not here. The pre-allocated zeroes will be squashed down to nothing by ZFS compression and then you'll still be facing the fragmentation later.

The suggestion from the official OpenZFS page is to use a separate dataset with recordsize=16K for the temporary download folder, and then copy it to the final resting place with the larger recordsize (if it's exclusively large media, you could even do larger than default such a recordsize=1M)

http://open-zfs.org/wiki/Performance_tuning#Bit_Torrent

sretalla