I have setup FreeNAS storage as follows with child ZFS datasets:
/mnt/storage/files
/mnt/storage/files/downloads
/mnt/storage/files/software
/mnt/storage/media
/mnt/storage/media/movies
/mnt/storage/media/tv
/mnt/storage/media/music

My windows CIFS shares seem to function as expected, I have a single 'media' share and a 'files' share, which I can then map down to sub dataset such as 'movies' on the windows pc. Permissions appear correct as I can create and remove files/folders.

However my NFS shares behave a little differently, from an Ubuntu box I have setup AutoFS. If I auto mount the NFS 'media' share I can read/write in this folder, however is I move into the 'movies' sub dataset I have read only permissions. If I setup an NFS share for 'media/movies' and set the automount to movies this works and I can read/write.

Is this a limitation to NFS whereby child datasets of the share behave differently to a CIFS share?

Is there a mistake/workaround whereby I can NFS share the media folder and still have read/write access to all sub data sets?

I am guessing that this point in the user manual
"2. Each volume or dataset is considered to be its own filesystem and NFS is not able to cross filesystem boundaries."
Is what puts the breaks on my setup.

Maybe I need to reconsider my FreeNAS storage structure and keep things at a top level, or remove the subdata sets and just use file system folders instead?

Thanks
Mark

gizimoto

Cadet
Solved - I had wrong permissions set for the NFS share mapall user - noob error!

Status
Not open for further replies.