NFS Sharing Best Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigverm23

Dabbler
hi guys, new to FreeNAS and Linux so this is a double whammy but I'm learning slowly but surely and what in to inquire about the recommended practice for FreeNAS Shares. I plan to run an Ubuntu VM with Docker/RancherOS installed, following this guide [HOW TO] FN11.1 Docker VM, Rancher, Plex, Tautulli, Ombi, Deluge w/OpenVPN & PIA, Sickrage, & More

I have a single volume called "media". On "media" I have a handful of datasets - downloads, movies, tv, torrent files, vmstorage, and jails. I want to NFS share downloads, movies, tv, torrent files for access on my Linux and Mac machines - these shares will also be used for integration with Deluge, Sickrage, Ombi, Plex, etc.

/media
/downloads (couchpotato, sickbeard, deluge)
/movies
/tv
/movies (couchpotato, plex)
/tv (sickbeard, deluge, plex)
/torrentfiles (couchpotato, sickbeard, deluge)

Is the best way to do so to create a single NFS share for each - downloads, movies, tv, torrent files - four(4) in total? or to create a single share for media - one(1) in total?

I want to permanently mount those shares as well, presumably by editing fstab:
//192.168.1.XX:/mnt/media/downloads /home/FreeNAS nfs defaults, 0 0
//192.168.1.XX:/mnt/media/movies /home/FreeNAS nfs defaults, 0 0
//192.168.1.XX:/mnt/media/tv /home/FreeNAS nfs defaults, 0 0
//192.168.1.XX:/mnt/media/torrentfiles /home/FreeNAS nfs defaults, 0 0

Am I logically on the right path here? if not, can someone please point out any issues they foresee?

Last edited:

sfcredfox

Patron
Is the best way to do so to create a single NFS share for each - downloads, movies, tv, torrent files - four(4) in total? or to create a single share for media - one(1) in total?
This might depend on whether or not you have security permissions concerns that differentiates the folders.

I've seen what you're trying to do both ways. If the permissions are going to be the same between them all, I personally like less shares to manage/troubleshoot. Some folks like their shares to directly match a folder and only be used for a single purpose.

I don't have much experience with linux/mac file sharing, but I feel like you could get away with doing the shares either way.

Andrew076

Patron
hi guys, new to FreeNAS and Linux so this is a double whammy but I'm learning slowly but surely and what in to inquire about the recommended practice for FreeNAS Shares. I plan to run an Ubuntu VM with Docker/RancherOS installed, following this guide [HOW TO] FN11.1 Docker VM, Rancher, Plex, Tautulli, Ombi, Deluge w/OpenVPN & PIA, Sickrage, & More

I have a single volume called "media". On "media" I have a handful of datasets - downloads, movies, tv, torrent files, vmstorage, and jails. I want to NFS share downloads, movies, tv, torrent files for access on my Linux and Mac machines - these shares will also be used for integration with Deluge, Sickrage, Ombi, Plex, etc.

/media
/downloads (couchpotato, sickbeard, deluge)
/movies
/tv
/movies (couchpotato, plex)
/tv (sickbeard, deluge, plex)
/torrentfiles (couchpotato, sickbeard, deluge)

I want to permanently mount those shares as well, presumably by editing fstab:
//192.168.1.XX:/mnt/media/downloads /home/FreeNAS nfs defaults, 0 0
//192.168.1.XX:/mnt/media/movies /home/FreeNAS nfs defaults, 0 0
//192.168.1.XX:/mnt/media/tv /home/FreeNAS nfs defaults, 0 0
//192.168.1.XX:/mnt/media/torrentfiles /home/FreeNAS nfs defaults, 0 0

Am I logically on the right path here? if not, can someone please point out any issues they foresee?
Did that work? I tried doing it and it would mount, but in the Linux system when browsed to the folder (say downloads) it was empty

Status
Not open for further replies.