Is the dataset name the same as NFS share /folder/ ?

SecCon

Contributor
Probably pretty basic question but I have read all relevant sections of the manual 11.2U several times and I do not comprehend.

When creating an NFS share the first thing one has to fill in is the path. This would be to the dataset. Well I have a pool, and I have a dataset, but what determines the folder structure? I want to have an NFS share defined as \...\data but the folder data does not exist. A relevant folder structure is important in my opinion, since I do not want to throw my files in to /mnt/fsa-homered-conram/iocage/*files* but rather /mnt/fsa-homered-conram/data/*files*

fsa-nfs.PNG

Ref:
https://ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/storage.html#adding-datasets
https://ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/sharing.html#unix-nfs-shares

This is not a production system, I can erase and do stuff with no issues, trying to get my bearings.

Last edited:

SecCon

Contributor
Either something very basic eludes me or no one cares...

tfjad

Dabbler
You can share whatever directory in your pool with NFS. You may freely browse the directory tree. From your screen shot, it looks like you don't have any other directories in your pool except the iocage-branch(?!). Why don't you first create the /mnt/fsa-homered-comram/data directory or dataset, and then share it.

Here's my NFS share:

screenshot-nasse-2019.01.15-21-21-36.png

lleb

Dabbler
For the share to function the folder to be shared must exist on the server, in this case your FreeNAS system has to have the folder layout.

Once the share is created and working, depending on the permissions granted to the systems that will mount the NFS share, will be able to create additional sub-folders in the path.

I share out /mnt/Exports/Exports as the upper level share from my FreeNAS to my workstations/laptops. The clients mount /mnt/Exports/Exports and can see all of the sub-folders under that mount point. The clients are unable to navigate higher up in the tree.