Help with SATA Controller Passthrough (supermicro) from ESXi 7 to Truenas

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you want to share details of your hardware, maybe it will highlight that you're trying to passthrough a controller that's already in use or is just the motherboard controller not capable of passthrough.

phier

Patron
@sretalla was shared here, thanks!

the thing is i am running the latest esxi v7, supermicro x11ssl-f ;
sata mode in AHCI;
bios v2.7
vt-d enabled (within chipset configuration->System Agent configuration)
intel pentium g4400

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So if that's the case, you didn't miss sharing the HBA (since you don't have one) and you can't pass through that onboard SATA controller as it's not capable of it.

You'll need a separate HBA.

How are you connecting your boot drive?

phier

Patron

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
how do you know that its not capable of it?

the sata controller is still grey out
Sometimes (and it's usually not the case with all controllers/motherboards no matter what, only a small list of exceptions), the onboard controller can be passed if it's not used by something already... in those cases, you can see it as an option to passthrough.
Since you don't, you can't.

If you want to go back to @HoneyBadger and ask what he was talking about, feel free. (but it seems he already has chosen not to respond further on the other thread)

Also, this is completely unrelated to TrueNAS...

phier

Patron
@sretalla
Okay, so basically it's not possible to see /read that from supermicro board manual/ or to get that confirmation from VMWARE esxi (once provided them the board model)

Basically - if i can't see it there / ie an option to enable passthrough it means it's not supported and there is no option to do that?

Well I am just surprised... as ppl on that link https://www.truenas.com/community/t...r-passthrough-from-esxi-6-5-to-freenas.61304/
mentioned they make it works... I know they use a different model of the board... but I thought as the old model supports that why should never don't? Maybe wrong assumption ...

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Maybe wrong assumption ...
I don't run VMware on one of those boards, so can't confirm or deny it.

You may find more help on the issue in the VMware forums.

phier

Patron
So if that's the case, you didn't miss sharing the HBA (since you don't have one) and you can't pass through that onboard SATA controller as it's not capable of it.
in that statement has no "technical" validation/proof that its not possible....

Also strange thing is that usb ports cant be passthrough....

so maybe the issue is somewhere else... i dont know.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
in that statement has no "technical" validation/proof that its not possible....
I never claimed it did... I'm just stating the "facts" back to you that you gave to me... it's greyed out, so you can't use it.
You're in a forum for discussing TrueNAS and you're making a lot of noise about how ESXi isn't doing what you want and trying to imply it's my fault for not having more evidence... I don't see how that helps.

Also strange thing is that usb ports cant be passthrough....

so maybe the issue is somewhere else... i dont know.
I agree the issue (if there's any issue remaining for discussion) is probably with some kind of enabling that needs to be done in ESXi if it is in fact possible... maybe something like this is helpful... https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/esxi-6-0-passthrough-onboard-sata.8902/

phier

Patron
@sretalla

i dont know, as every time someone is responding with different answer....

if u dont have a proof/validation there whats the point to saying Its not possible.... maybe something has to be set somewhere, i dont know.

Not saying that there is another issue ie USB is not showing to be able to passthrough... and there is no connection between usb/sata.. i assume.

sretalla