Help with SATA Controller Passthrough (supermicro) from ESXi 7 to Truenas

phier

Patron
@HoneyBadger
this is whats there:

Code:
lspci
0000:00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H AHCI Controller [vmhba0]

thats what i added
cat /etc/vmware/passthru.map
Code:
8086  a102  d3d0     false

and thats how it looks like after reboot.... does it mean it works and its safe?

thanks!

1657318777343.png

phier

Patron
when i booted turenas within esxi VM
once logged in to that Truenas instance via UI i can see the following... it seems it can see drives natively as the naming is at ada0, 1 ,..
correct?

1657320247484.png

neofusion

Contributor
@HoneyBadger was thinking more about data corruption etc
to test load/ i/o i might use https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/solnet-array-test.1/?
That tool helps you find drives that fail quickly.
It will never guarantee anything or ensure that your data "safe".

This is further complicated by the fact that you are using a configuration that is unsupported; any data which is put on the system should only be put there with that in mind. As always weigh your options carefully and be sure you have proper backups of any data you can't afford to lose.

Also have in mind that there won't always be someone available that can help you solve issues that arise; ultimately, that responsibility rests solely on your shoulders.

phier

Patron
That tool helps you find drives that fail quickly.
It will never guarantee anything or ensure that your data "safe".
how does it help to find out drives fail? I run that test but there is no file with any results after execution is done.

It's working, but "safe" would require you to do some load testing and I/O to it.
@neofusion he was talking about some Load and I/O test, i thought that tool can do that.

This is further complicated by the fact that you are using a configuration that is unsupported; any data which is put on the system should only be put there with that in mind. As always weigh your options carefully and be sure you have proper backups of any data you can't afford to lose.
i think it was said here - that such a configuration is supported or works fine... ie ESXi, truenas in VM and SATA passthrought... isnt that true?
Also have in mind that there won't always be someone available that can help you solve issues that arise; ultimately, that responsibility rests solely on your shoulders.
yes i know ...

neofusion

Contributor
how does it help to find out drives fail? I run that test but there is no file with any results after execution is done.
That tool stresses the drives and helps weed out bad ones.
However it's not magic and might not stress them the way required to trigger a failstate; a failstate your normal usage eventually hits. To lessen the risk of that some people run longer tests, some run other tests instead or in addition. Other people don't care about that at all and just run the drives untested. In the end, no test is ever going to tell you when a drive, HBA or other part of the system is going to fail. Testing is done to assist in risk assessment.
@neofusion he was talking about some Load and I/O test, i thought that tool can do that.
Yes, that's correct.
i think it was said here - that such a configuration is supported or works fine... ie ESXi, truenas in VM and SATA passthrought... isnt that true?
Supported implies that someone is giving guarantees or offers help/assistance in getting things working. Companies typically offer support when they have thoroughly tested the configuration over a long enough time. They also often charge a fee for it.

In this case the Servethehome.com-link linked earlier starts of with the headline "VMware Front Experience: How to make your unsupported SATA AHCI Controller work with ESXi 5.5 and 6.0" so this is clearly marked as an unsupported configuration. It is just a forum discussion about how people have found a way to enable something even if it's not supported.

It could still work fine for you. It certainly has for some people. It's not as widespread, not as tested. I advice you to keep that in mind that when you consider the risk to your data. It could work for years and years, it could also corrupt your data the moment you start using it, or worst case, somewhere in-between. How will a failure impact you? Only you can answer that.

phier

Patron
That tool stresses the drives and helps weed out bad ones.
but how? they just fail / enter failstate during the test execution?

In this case the Servethehome.com-link linked earlier starts of with the headline "VMware Front Experience: How to make your unsupported SATA AHCI Controller work with ESXi 5.5 and 6.0" so this is clearly marked as an unsupported configuration. It is just a forum discussion about how people have found a way to enable something even if it's not supported.
okay in that case maybe its better to buy supported HBA SAS/SATA card and make it run like that.

thanks!

neofusion

Contributor
but how? they just fail / enter failstate during the test execution?
Yes, sometimes drives just fail immediately. That is actually preferable since it lets you replace them before you put important data on them.
Looking at SMART data before and after testing sometimes let you identify problematic drives.

phier

Patron
maybe odd question - but how / who can see that drive failed immediately?

neofusion

Contributor
Sometimes drives just fail catastrophically and stop being visible in the UI.

Some errors are reported in the command line so they will be visible on a monitor you have connected to the NAS in question.

Otherwise SMART would be one way.
You can check the current statis with smartctl -a, so for example: smartctl -a /dev/sda0 if your that's the device name of your drive.

It would be a good idea to at least run a short SMART test after your tests (smartctl -t short /dev/sda0), again, changing the device name for the one you are testing.

After that, making sure recurring scrubs and SMART tests are run will let TrueNAS post an alert if a device starts misbehaving.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@phier No virtualised configuration of TrueNAS is officially supported. If you want a supported configuration you need to run TrueNAS directly on the hardware.

There is some experience by various members of this forum which configurations actually work. We have been trying to steer you in that direction. But as soon as you run TN in ESXi there is no such thing as a "supported HBA". It's all unsupported and your sole responsibility.

phier

Patron
There is some experience by various members of this forum which configurations actually work. We have been trying to steer you in that direction. But as soon as you run TN in ESXi there is no such thing as a "supported HBA". It's all unsupported and your sole responsibility.
well ... i thought using external pcie hba it will work fine...

wasnt able to find any "step-by-step" with hw description etc... configuration that works okay... also who "proved" how its working okay...

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Using a dedicated PCIe HBA and a well established and tested hardware platform like your Supermicro board will most probably work OK. The proof can only be in setting up the system and running stress tests. There are resources about disk drive burn in on this forum.

phier

Patron
hello,
just one more question ... is that also some mainboard issue that i cant passthrough USB ports or its just normal behaviour?

thanks

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can only pass through PCIe devices. So a complete USB controller - yes, possibly, depending on the MB architecture. Single port - no.

phier

Patron
how is it possible that kvm can passthrough one port and esxi (which is "better" hypervisor") cant do that ... strange.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What kind of device are you trying to pass through?