help with drive set up

Robti

Explorer
Hi i have 2 x 120Gb various ssd spare
1 x samsung 120Gb ssd as boot
3 x 4TB iron wolf drives, new to this install
atm using the samsung ssd as boot although it says 120Gb it is larger than the other two 120GB ssd's and was using an old couple of hard drives as pool just to see if i liked truenas, but ditching these now i have the ironwolfs.
So now doing a clean install with the 3 x 4Tb drives what can i do with the ssd's for a simple home truuenas set up for home use,media photos plex, use or not ?
Thanks

pschatz100

Guru
What version of TrueNAS are you running? If you have a working system, why would you reinstall the software? You just remove the old pool and create a new pool with the 4TB disks. Also, with 4TB disks you might want to consider adding a fourth disk and configuring your pool as RaidZ2. RaidZ1 is not recommended for disks greater than 2TB. If you search the forum, you will find much discussion about RaidZ1 versus RaidZ2.

Don't bother with the extra SSD's. For the use cases you mentioned, a simple TrueNAS setup will be sufficient.

Also, you need a backup strategy for your data.

Robti

Explorer
Thanks for the help, I am doing a new setup as I just was tinkering before and now ready to do a final move from my old whs 2011. The version I will probably go for core as atm I would be happy to have a whs type setup with plex added and probably Home Assistant and get rid of my pi. I was going for just a basic two disc pool but was advised to add a third. So will leave the ssd out of this bar boot drive
Thanks