Truenas / Freenas several versions not booting

djb

Explorer
Hello everyone,

I have tried to install truenas/freenas V8.3, 9.3, 12.0-U5 , 11,3.
I have tried booting as EUFI, install as EUFI
boot as EUFI, install as bios boot
boot as bios, install as EUFI
boot as bios, install as bios

i have tried another boot drive also, hitachi 2,5" Sata 250GB.

The error is : can't boot from device.

The machine is ok, i can run win7,win10, debian, OMV.

Is there any known issue with freebsd running this chipset or CPU?? Specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 processor (3.1 GHz, 6MB cache, 2C/4T, Turbo, HD 2000 Graphics
Intel H61 Express chipset
PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333) UDIMM memory (2X4GB) = 8GB
Boot drive: Patriot SSD 120GB
Data Drives: 2XSeagate Barracuda 7200 Sata

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Can you install a basic FreeBSD 12 install on it?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Can you provide the exact motherboard you're using, and whether it's been flashed to the latest available version from the vendor? Often times these boot issues are resolved with a firmware update.

djb

Explorer
This is the system : HP Pro 3400 MT https://support.hp.com/lv-en/document/c02999007
Intel Core i3-2100 processor
Intel H61 Express chipset 8GB Ram.

Just installed freebsd 13 from scratch with the same ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed.

I have the latest bios version 7.16 which i already flashed using win7 pro x64 for compatibility with the utility.

Samuel Tai

Ugh, an HP. Unfortunately, HP often cripples their UEFI BIOS so it only has enough to boot Windows, or specially crafted Linux kernels with a special module that emulates the missing pieces, unlike a 3rd party board with an AMI or other full BIOS. HP does this to constrain costs, and not have to pay the licensing fees to the BIOS developers. You're out of luck on this choice of hardware.

djb

Explorer
New evidence:
with UEFI boot from memstick image, either restarts while loading kernel, or hangs on the first screen after EFI Framebuffer, stride, masks....
with Bios boot it can complete the installation, but on restart gives the error of No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed.

djb

Explorer
Ugh, an HP. Unfortunately, HP often cripples their UEFI BIOS so it only has enough to boot Windows, or specially crafted Linux kernels with a special module that emulates the missing pieces, unlike a 3rd party board with an AMI or other full BIOS. HP does this to constrain costs, and not have to pay the licensing fees to the BIOS developers. You're out of luck on this choice of hardware.
Do you think maybe worth trying truenas scale which is Debian based ?

Samuel Tai

It's worth a shot.

Evertb1

Guru
In the past years I stumbled over stories on a diversity of forums (fora) about "unlocking" HP motherboards. It can be done and there are even some tools available out there. Sorry I don't provide you with links or names of tools but I don't want to be resposible for accidents. To me it looks to be a bit risky and I have no clue if it works on all HP mothetboards, but if you become really desperate you could look in to that. In my opinion it looks a bit like jailbraking a smartphone so be very carefull not to brick the motherboard and look at is as a last resort