Dell T330 wont show drives

HI all.
Sorry but newbie at this and a little knowledge is dangerous...

Added Truenas V12.0.U3 to my Dell Poweredge T330 today and when I went to create pools it didn't show any of the drives I have added, except the SSD I've put the operating system on.

So research tells me that the H710 Perc card wont let me see the SAS drives as it's not been flashed or wont allow passthrough, but I'm unsure with what to replace it with.

So couple of questions:
1 - How to confirm its a H710 as the best I could do is google image a match and I cant find anything that tells me on the card itself (see photo)?
2 - What can I replace it with that will best allow passthrough or is already flashed?

Any help here would be useful.

Thanks

MPC

So the machine is:
Dell poweredge T330
CPU Intel xeon CPU E3-1240 V6@3.7GHz
32Gb Ram
120GB - Dell 850EVO SSD
4 x IBM 4Tb, 7200, SAS drives
SAS Backplane
Dell H710 Perc Card (I think).
20210424_120248.jpg
20210424_202627.jpg

Thanks for this. I do get the idea that there is a software or hardware version of raid, but that anything more technical than that is alien I'm afraid.
From what I could tell the H310 would do it, but as this is a bit of lockdown, DIY, keep me from crawling the walls, homework, I dont want to spend too much on trial and errors.
Did I understand it that the LSI 9300-8i may be a good replacement and can I mix LSI and Dell?

Happy to be schooled by the jedi masters, but you'll have to keep it simple stupid I'm afraid.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Vendor equipment can be twitchy, so only someone who's had your exact combination of equipment can say for sure. You can find out all the fun people have had with fans running full speed, etc., when they put some non-vendor HBA in their system by searching the forum.

Looks like your existing controller has SFF8643 for a connector, which is typically (but not always) 12Gbps SAS. You can read up on SAS here:

https://www.truenas.com/community/t...-sas-sy-a-primer-on-basic-sas-and-sata.26145/

If you are looking for not-a-lot-of-drama, see if you can find a vendor on eBay selling a preflashed card.

The following is not an endorsement, referral, or advice to buy this specific thing, but rather just an example that happened to be the first eBay thing that looked reasonable to me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132573447100

This is an LSI 9300 based HBA with SFF8643's that has already been crossflashed to IT mode and comes with both types of brackets. I would expect this to be drama-free, except for any platform-specific issues like fans revving out of control.

I fully expect you could get this cheaper, especially if you were to crossflash it yourself. I do recommend avoiding ones sold by sellers in Asia, where there is a healthy market in counterfeit cards.