SOLVED HELP!! Upgraded to 11.2 & can't boot up server

AltecBX

Patron

Redcoat

MVP
Well, this is great - you have your config files.

Now you need to copy the one you want to apply to the location of the current boot config. Going back to the Chris Moore post:

"The config db file is named freenas-v1.db and is located at: /data"

So, what I believe you need to do is copy your chosen config file to /data and change its name to freenas-v1.db. I guess what I would do is rename the current version to something like oldfreenas-v1.db so that if anything goes sideways you can just rename it back again.

Edit 1- I've just seen Seymour Butt's suggestion - that sounds good to me. also.

Edit 2 - after more research I have edited out my original suggestion. It's not valid. I believe it's the correct method for a single selected .db file selected from a FreeNAS version's config file found as discussed above, but it's not clear to me how much of the overall configuration is restored in that way - and I cannot presently test it.

Last edited:

AltecBX

Patron
Well, this is great - you have your config files.

Now you need to copy the one you want to apply to the location of the current boot config. Going back to the Chris Moore post:

"The config db file is named freenas-v1.db and is located at: /data"

So, what I believe you need to do is copy your chosen config file to /data and change its name to freenas-v1.db. I guess what I would do is rename the current version to something like oldfreenas-v1.db so that if anything goes sideways you can just rename it back again.

Edit 1- I've just seen Seymour Butt's suggestion - that sounds good to me. also.

Edit 2 - after more research I have edited out my original suggestion. It's not valid. I believe it's the correct method for a single selected .db file selected from a FreeNAS version's config file found as discussed above, but it's not clear to me how much of the overall configuration is restored in that way - and I cannot presently test it.
Yep, you're right. I just needed to select one .db file and it restored all my settings (Jails, Sharing, Services, Network, etc..) Everything is working before the upgrade that led to a not working boot USB drive.

AltecBX

Patron
@Redcoat & @Seymour Butt please send me your Paypal addresses so I can send a donation over for helping me figure this out. I appreciate the time you took, Thank You

PS - What I got out of this if someone else goes through it, don't give up. After using 2 different SSH programs showing me empty config folders, WINSCP came through and showed the files. Lesson learned on using the right tools to getting the right results.

Very tempting, but this is a forum of volunteers. Your appreciation is more than welcome. You can do us and yourself a big favour though. For a start, mirror your boot drives and backup your config whenever you make changes. Also, consider the following. You were lucky this time, but if your pool were to break, you risk losing 50TB of data. If that data is important to you, you might like to start thinking about how you're going to back it up. Maybe plan for replicating that data to a second server sometime in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
Thanks for the offer, but I learned a lot walking through that with you and that's quite enough for me.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
@Redcoat & @Seymour Butt please send me your Paypal addresses so I can send a donation over for helping me figure this out. I appreciate the time you took, Thank You

PS - What I got out of this if someone else goes through it, don't give up. After using 2 different SSH programs showing me empty config folders, WINSCP came through and showed the files. Lesson learned on using the right tools to getting the right results.
You can make a donation to the freebsd project. That would be the most beneficial for everybody. Every little bit counts and makes freenas better in the long run.

AltecBX

Patron
Very tempting, but this is a forum of volunteers. Your appreciation is more than welcome. You can do us and yourself a big favour though. For a start, mirror your boot drives and backup your config whenever you make changes. Also, consider the following. You were lucky this time, but if your pool were to break, you risk losing 50TB of data. If that data is important to you, you might like to start thinking about how you're going to back it up. Maybe plan for replicating that data to a second server sometime in the foreseeable future.
I appreciate it. I figured doing a ZFS RAIDZ2 is good enough (4 drives for data & 2 for parity). I have had 2 drives fail on me in the last 4 years, which been no problem as I just pop it out and resilver the new one in there. I do have 22 10TB drives still sitting here from Christmas time when I bought on sale waiting to build a new server to replicate this server as well, so I've been having that in mind already. But this build will be a Synology.
Thanks for the offer, but I learned a lot walking through that with you and that's quite enough for me.
Thanks. Yea Midnight Commander didn't see the files, you saw it with the screenshot I posted. Good to know that another SSH program caught the files, and I actually found WINSCP to be much easier to use as well.

AltecBX

Patron
You can make a donation to the freebsd project. That would be the most beneficial for everybody. Every little bit counts and makes freenas better in the long run.
Thanks. I'll look them up @SweetAndLow

Redcoat

MVP
Thanks. Yea Midnight Commander didn't see the files, you saw it with the screenshot I posted. Good to know that another SSH program caught the files, and I actually found WINSCP to be much easier to use as well.

That was "weird". You saw that MC worked for me - reason I suggested it is that it's "in" FreeNAS and therefore instantly available to you. But, yes, I like WinSCP better.