SOLVED Help Please! FreeNAS Will not Boot!

strikeing_789d

Dabbler
Hi everyone I just bought a Dell Poweredge 710 server and I cannot get FreeNAS to boot from a USB stick to save my life. I have tried everything, changing the boot order, making the USB emulate a hard drive, selecting it and booting directly. Nothing works! I can easily boot windows server 2012 from the same USB but not FreeNAS 9.10 or 9.3 stable versions. I am able to see the USB and select it for boot and then it just freezes with a blinking command line as soon as I press enter.

Specs:
Dual 2.13Ghz Xeons
16GB Ram
8TB of brand new WD RED NAS drives
Bios version is 3.4.0 (Latest)
Perc6i Raid card (doesn't matter because I disabled the raid card in BIOS)

I hope someone will read this (no one ever reads my threads)...sigh..

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

Is this before or after installation?

If before installation, which utility did you use to burn the installer?

Does it freeze if you remove the raid card?

strikeing_789d

Dabbler
Hi, this is before installation, I used poweriso to create a bootable version of the FreeNAS iso. Should I try another tool ? I used poweriso to make windows server 2012 bootable and it works perfectly.

I have not tried to physically remove the raid card but I disabled it through the bios.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hjrr

Dabbler
How did you solve this? I have the same problem. I am installing from CDROM. USB works fine with other distributions but freezes on boot at “press del for bios” when I try to boot the installed FreeNAS 9.3 stable!

Hjrr

Dabbler
I am installing on a 10 year old server with 4 drive bays: you are not helping with your smart remarks. Can we get an adult in the room please.

D

dlavigne

It was a legitimate question. It will be hard getting an answer for a version that old.

Hjrr

Dabbler
Just tried newest FreeNAS 11.2 installed to same USB stick from CDROM image and same frozen screen as with 9.3.

(This USB worked perfect with XenServer 7.2installed on it )

so is this a constant problem with FreeNAS for some reason? I tried other USB sticks and same problem ONLY with FREENAS! Why?

D

dlavigne

Is the BIOS at its latest version? Have you tried both UEFI and BIOS installs?

Hjrr

Dabbler
UEFI is not supported and yes latest available BIOS.
This may be an older server but still capable of running FreeNAS for storage.

Attachments

• 2F71B3F0-E494-43AC-9845-0E021B83E856.jpeg
    2F71B3F0-E494-43AC-9845-0E021B83E856.jpeg
    703.3 KB · Views: 391