Freenas Install USB boot issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

HWY

Cadet
Hi all, I have just tried to install a fresh copy of Freenas 8.3.1 to a USB. The install to the USB was successful but upon trying to boot into Freenas to begin configuring it, I am presented with the error messages:

"Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
Guessed BIOS device 0x80 not found by proves, defaulting to disk0.
Can't load kernel"

I have set the boot order correctly in BIOS, having the USB as the first device to boot from and have even tried disconnecting every other drive to try isolate the issue but nothing has fixed it. Is there any specific options in BIOS that I need to change to ensure it boots correctly. I am using an Asus P5s800-VM motherboard (older computer).

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It sounds like you hit all of the bases. Considering the age of your hardware its quite possible its not compatible with FreeBSD. Alot of hardware isn't and many manufacturers from that era didn't care about their hardware being compatible with FreeBSD or Linux. They only cared about Windows. After all, there is no other OS in existence besides Windows. :p

Not sure what brand your USB stick is, but many people have problems with non-name brand USB sticks.

HWY

Cadet
Funnily enough, to test the install on the USB, I placed it into similar if not older IBM laptop and it actually worked perfectly. The USB is a Sandisk one, that is actually going to be my next thing to try; install to a different USB and see what happens. Will try that this afternoon and post back results.

HWY

Cadet
Just finished trying with another USB and there was no difference, so that rules out the USB being an issue. Anyone else have any other ideas?

tingo

Contributor
Have you fiddled with all of the USB settings in the BIOS (assuming there are any USB settings there) For each, if its on, try setting it off and vice versa. "USB legacy support" often helps.
Also, does your motherboard have the latest BIOS? If not, upgrade - it sometimes helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.