Help Please: 13.0-U3 WILL NOT Install / 12.0-U8.1 WILL Install

CROWN ME

Dabbler
Hi Guys.

I am trying to install 13.0-U3 on my system. (See My Signature for the System Specs). I do get the initial options for install. I always press "enter" or let the installer time out. Either way, option 1 gets loaded. Then, the installer hangs with just a white block in the upper right of my screen. Here is what I have tried:

I tried FIRST a USB drive created using the recommended Rufus utility. This is where I got my first "hanging" installation screen.
I reseated BOTH RAM sticks and unplugged ALL 4 drives data cable(s) in the machine.
I ran a memory test. (It took overnight to complete). It passed.
I then tried downloading the 13.0-U3, (STABLE), installer again. This time I burnt it to a DVD, SAME ISSUE
I then tried a Windows 11 boot USB. It DID boot. I aborted as this was just a test.
I then tried True NAS 12.0-U8.1 (LEGACY) installer from a USB. It works. I went as far as the screen to select where to install the OS and aborted. I did this because I was hoping to use the latest STABLE 13.0-U3 version, (if possible).
I tired updating the firmware of my motherboard. SAME ISSUE

Any help on this issue will be appreciated. I have searched the form. If this same issue is out there in the community, I did not find it.

Thank you all, in advance, for your time and efforts. I really need to get this NAS up and running.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I then tried True NAS 12.0-U8.1 (LEGACY) installer from a USB. It works. I went as far as the screen to select where to install the OS and aborted. I did this because I was hoping to use the latest STABLE 13.0-U3 version, (if possible).
I would recommend that you install 12.0-U8.1 and make sure it runs. Once you have done that, "upgrade" to version 13.

Next I'd have to ask you if you have in the BIOS enabled both Legacy and UEFI boot options. You could select the other one and try again. I personally like to stick with the Legacy BIOS, not UEFI but one day I will be forced to use UEFI I'm sure.

Once the white box just keeps flashing, how long have you waited to see if it changes? Just curious.

Redcoat

MVP

CROWN ME

Dabbler
I would recommend that you install 12.0-U8.1 and make sure it runs. Once you have done that, "upgrade" to version 13.

Next I'd have to ask you if you have in the BIOS enabled both Legacy and UEFI boot options. You could select the other one and try again. I personally like to stick with the Legacy BIOS, not UEFI but one day I will be forced to use UEFI I'm sure.

Once the white box just keeps flashing, how long have you waited to see if it changes? Just curious.
Hi joeschmuck. Thank you so much for that lightning fast response!

"I would recommend that you install 12.0-U8.1 and make sure it runs. Once you have done that, "upgrade" to version 13"

That was going to be the next thing, in my mind, to try. I wanted to first rule out any settings, (that I may have had set incorrectly), causing the system not to boot my install USB.

"Next I'd have to ask you if you have in the BIOS enabled both Legacy and UEFI boot options"

Yes and No. I looked through the manual that came with my motherboard. NOWHERE in the manual did it mention the word LEGACY. After reading your response about the BIOS, and having previously read others comments about the BIOS, I decided to dig a little further. I found this video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRD90smApxQ
As it turns out, my motherboard DOES support both. You must go under "Boot" first. Then, "Boot\CSM (Compatibility Support Module)". Then, under "Launch CSM, one must ENABLE that option. Once that's enabled, the next option, "Boot Device Control", was already set to, I assume, a default setting of "UEFI and LEGACY OPROM". This is where my above response of "Yes and No" comes into play. Further down the list is where the "Magic" comes in. There was and still is an option that reads "Boot from Storage Devices". It was set to "Legacy only". This would explain why the LEGACY install DVD I created WOULD boot. I changed this to UEFI. This is ALL I changed here. The installer for 13.0-U3 is running, as I am typing this response to you, on another PC. THANK YOU for encouraging me to investigate the BIOS matter further.

"I personally like to stick with the Legacy BIOS, not UEFI but one day I will be forced to use UEFI I'm sure."

I am with you on this. I have felt that way for about the last 5-10 years now. Sadly, I must circum to the use of UEFI if I wish to use 13.0-U3, and, I do wish to use this version.

"Once the white box just keeps flashing, how long have you waited to see if it changes? Just curious."

So, I never said the BLOCK was flashing. The BLOCK was white in color and solid. It was a BLOCK not a "box". I am just clarifying. Please do not take this comment as my getting smart with you. How long did I wait for a change in this solid white block? I waited about 5 minutes. As we both now know, I could have waited an eternity. It would still be a solid white block.

Thank you for the time you invested on my issue. It was and is appreciated. Perhaps our paths will cross again.

Until next time,
CROWN ME

PS: Days, months, even years from now, I hope this post helps other users facing this same issue with there Asus Prime H4101-PLUS motherboard. The manual does not cover "LEGACY" options well.

CROWN ME

Dabbler

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad things are working out for you.

joeschmuck

Old Man