Shadow Copies In Nested Datasets Not Visible in 13.0-U1 vs 12.0-U8.1

irTwit

Dabbler
I didn't see this issue in the forums since 1 Feb or in the changelog known issues. Is this a new intended design or did I mess something up?

Issue
In 12.0-U8.1 I could see shadow copies for items inside nested datasets. This is not the case in 13.0-U1. Now "Previous Versions" only show for items accessed through SMB shares directly linked to the dataset.

Configuration & Test
Tested below with two VMs. One with 12.0-U8.1 and the other a clone of the first and upgraded to 13.0-U1.

I have a media dataset nested under a shared dataset.
Pools.png

SMB shares to the two datasets.
Samba.png

Two VMs running side by side. On the left the 12.0-U8.1 and the 13.0-U1 on the right. Snapshots are a mix of empty and non-empty. There are four "Previous Versions" windows, two for each VM. From left to right, #1 and #3 were accessed through the "shared" share while #2 and #4 were accessed through the "shared_media" share.
Screenshot.jpg

Video Demonstration

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'd have to see a debug of your server. File a ticket in jira and I'll take a look at it when it's assigned to me. This possibly a side-effect of symlink safety checks / VFS changes in Samba 4.15.

irTwit

Dabbler

irTwit

Dabbler

c77dk

Patron
Okay. I think I see where the problem is. I'll kick off a build and PM you a download link for an update file with WIP fix.
This is one of the things I really love about TrueNAS - developers rapidly engaging with the users to fix issues :smile:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
PM with WIP fix sent. Do note that I mostly tested to make sure that the build completed and produced a functional update file. I was able to connect to the samba share and things look right. So you'll be doing some alpha testing of this fix if you feel like checking it. We can continue conversation via private message.

GEOptic

Dabbler
Shadow Copies not visible with 13u3 neither !

We updated from 12u8.1 last week. No Shadow Copies (except 2 shares. Odd!)

GEOptic

Dabbler
We will look into this update for sure.
Odd that we experienced Shadow Copie issues from 11 to 12, then from 12 to 13 ! :wink:

TrueNAS 13.0-U3.1 Changelog​

Improvement​

• NAS-118951 don’t SMB_ASSERT() on mixed case sensitivity settings in vfs_shadow_copy_zfs