Help, need to remove rails from 847E16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenek

Explorer
I recently started a new build (my original post: SuperChassis 847E16: MB/CPU/HDs recommendations).
I'm ready to install chassis into the rack. But when I was trying to understand how rails installation works, I accidentally installed rail on left side upside-down. Now, I can't detach it from chassis.
Per supermicro user manual I should see a locking tab when rail is fully extended. But in my case rail is not extended far enough to see it:
D1256974_07580024_607699

I'm not sure if it is because it is installed upside-down. Looking on the other side, I can say that rail stuck around that line:
D1256974_07580024_607696

I hope it is something simply resolvable. I'm sure SuperMicro engineers wouldn't design rails easily slideable upside-down and permanently stuck after that. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
If you call the SuperMicro guys in California, about 80% of the time, they are very helpful. Usually, they'll have someone that knows what they're talking about call you back. Give it a shot, if no one can answer your question.

Tenek

Explorer
DrKK, thanks "Sir", you were right, SuperMicro support is supper cool.
It sounded I'm was first who inserted rails upside-down. They actually did the same thing and send me an advice. Long story shot, rails were not locked, but stuck. And I needed brutal force to remove them. I actually ended up using hummer and 2x4s:
D1256974_07580024_622271

Now I can officially say I used hummer to assemble my FreeNas build. Being Russian I kinda like that.
BTW rails are fine, happily instilled appropriately in to the rack.
Thanks again, rock and roll.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Excellent sir.

There is a good reason why most of us in the FreeNAS community are happy to recommend SuperMicro.

Also, the stock price is doing quite well.

http://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=smci

Status
Not open for further replies.