Build Report: Norco RPC-4224, SuperMicro X10-SRi-F, Xeon E5-1650v4

Danielx

Dabbler
Unable to send RAW command?

I think the script you're running isn't suitable for your motherboard. I think you should look for one that's written for an x9 fan controller.

rivey

Contributor
Thanks for the reply. Any suggestions on where to look?

pro lamer

Guru
Haven't really worked out how I'm going to secure the expander. I think some plastic insulator sheet of some sort might be in my future.
What solution have you decided upon?

Sent from my phone

Asimov1973

Dabbler
I have a Logic Case SC-4324S and judging from the little dust that I have on my 3,5" bays I think my 3 FANS are not blowing toward the backplane but "sucking" the air. I have 3 fans running at 6000rpm and anyway my disks hit 47 degrees celsius in the summer. For this reason I can never close the front door of my rack and this is very annoying for me....Now the silly question : the FANS need to blow air toward the front part of the case or "suck" the air in and eject it in the back?

I see there seems to be a nice little shelf in the case that a couple of inexpensive SSDs could fit (e.g., Kingston AS00 for about US$20 ). 120 GB is overkill, space-wise, but I tend to trust SSDs more that USB keys...

Asimov1973

Dabbler
I see there seems to be a nice little shelf in the case that a couple of inexpensive SSDs could fit (e.g., Kingston AS00 for about US$20 ). 120 GB is overkill, space-wise, but I tend to trust SSDs more that USB keys...
Yes, there is already a shelf for 2,5" drives...useful when I will replace my USB boot with a 128 GB SSD Kingston

Stux

MVP
What solution have you decided upon?

Sent from my phone

Priorities changed a while back... and the servers been humming along ever since. Priorities have changed again, and I'm back to doing some upgrades on the server.

So, here is how I mounted the expander. Don't quite remember the details but I took two photos.

I mounted the expander by drilling 6 holes through the bottom of the chassis. And passing screws through.

screws underside.jpg

I think I used nuts etc as spacers and then screwed down the expander with 3 of the screws.

I somehow managed to get the other 3 screws to end short, can't remember exactly how I accomplished that, but the expander had pads to rest on.

I was happy with the results.

expander in place.jpg

Sorry its not clear :)

My project at the time was cut short because I didn't have enough of the right length SAS SFF-8087 cables. Anyway, I've got the cables on the way now :)

And an Optane P4801x.

Stux

MVP
Ahh, I think I just remembered the critical detail.

I used little hex brass female/female standoffs, similar to this

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 11.09.49 pm.png

That meant I could screw screws into both sides. So the screws from underneath secured the standoffs, and then I could just screw the expander to the standoffs, and the 3 unused ones acted as supports.

Was happy with the security/fit of it.

EDIT: This thread continues on the new forum:

Last edited: