NORCO RPC-4224 4U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerzy Sobski

Explorer
I am in process moving drives from a two 10 bay SATA towers using port multipliers which I have been told is very unreliable due to issues when drive goes bad. In process I of preparing to make a switch over to SAS expander I have also begun to look for a way to combine the towers into a single unit.

During my research I have come across the Norco RPC 4224 4U as being one of the most economical storage cases on the market.

Has anyone in recent years tried this case and how did you like it? What issues did you find or resolutions you made to improve on it?

In my research I have come across having to replace the fans and having to go with 90 degree SAS cables for the connecting to the backplane board. Not sure if there are any other issues that I should be aware of before I pressure the trigger to purchase this unit.

This is primarily being purchased mainly for drive storage and cable run to server. Any other suggestions on other economical solutions that would be better then the RPC-4224-4U?

silverback

Contributor
I am in process moving drives from a two 10 bay SATA towers using port multipliers which I have been told is very unreliable due to issues when drive goes bad. In process I of preparing to make a switch over to SAS expander I have also begun to look for a way to combine the towers into a single unit.

During my research I have come across the Norco RPC 4224 4U as being one of the most economical storage cases on the market.

Has anyone in recent years tried this case and how did you like it? What issues did you find or resolutions you made to improve on it?

In my research I have come across having to replace the fans and having to go with 90 degree SAS cables for the connecting to the backplane board. Not sure if there are any other issues that I should be aware of before I pressure the trigger to purchase this unit.

This is primarily being purchased mainly for drive storage and cable run to server. Any other suggestions on other economical solutions that would be better then the RPC-4224-4U?
I currently run this case, worked flawlessly from the jump. HBA's and cabling can be a challenge and definitely add cost.

Jerzy Sobski

Explorer
You could have found this with a quick forum search.

In any case (get it?), here's a great build report from @Stux using the RPC-4224:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...24-supermicro-x10-sri-f-xeon-e5-1650v4.46262/

I am aware of this build and went through all the posts. There was some good info but I wanted to get input from other with this system including their tips on cabling, issues with the case, etc.

I am 90% sure Ill be buying it and have it already sitting in my Amazon cart ready for me to pay for it. I also have few other items in the cart that I found from other pasts that recommended right angle SAS Cables and Nocturna Fans.

Stux

MVP
I didn’t need to use right angle sas cables. Would recommend you use a sas expander to power the 6 passive back planes from a single HBA

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I have one.

It works well. Make sure you get the 3000RPM fans if you want to keep your drives cool (1500RPM is certainly not enough with 24 spinning drives... even WD reds which are relatively cool).

The divider where the drive fans are mounted is sharp on the front side. I recommend removing it from the chassis to mount the fans to it or you will cut yourself trying to squeeze your hand in there like I did, otherwise, all went smoothly with my install and cabling. I followed a lot of the advice from @Stux.

Jerzy Sobski

Explorer
I have one.

It works well. Make sure you get the 3000RPM fans if you want to keep your drives cool (1500RPM is certainly not enough with 24 spinning drives... even WD reds which are relatively cool).
Which fans do you recommend? I was looking at replacing the stock fans with Noctua NF-A8 For the rear fans and Noctua NF-F12 PWM for the front fans.

The divider where the drive fans are mounted is sharp on the front side. I recommend removing it from the chassis to mount the fans to it or you will cut yourself trying to squeeze your hand in there like I did, otherwise, all went smoothly with my install and cabling. I followed a lot of the advice from @Stux.

Thanks.

sretalla