Downgrading from Supermicro Chassis :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuganater

Patron
Well, I think I need to downgrade from the 24 bay Supermicro chassis. I move for work and my worldly possessions can only weight 7200 lbs. With baby #4 in route, I need to shed weight. This means I need to find alternative rack mount solution to the 24 bay Supermicro Chassis. Right now I am looking at the Rosewill RSV-L4500 because it has 15 internal drives so I have options. Also the Supermicro Superchassis SC846E1-R900B weights in at 75 lbs, where the Rosewill only weights 23 lbs. So in total I can reduce my weight by over 100 lbs.

I could do:
1x RAIDZ2 of 15 drives
2x RAIDZ2 of 7 drives + hot spare
2x RAIDZ2 of 6 drives + 2 hot spare
OR
I could use 3x Rosewill 3 to 4 hot swap bay modules which will give me 12 dives. less overall storage but easier to get to the drives in the case of a failure.

My main server is currently all 2TB drives (17 of them) which I am going to replace with 4TB drives and sell the 2TB ones. 4TB WD Reds are $145 right now. My secondary server has all 3TB drives (8 of them) and this will also need to find its way into a new lighter chassis. I have the LSI cards I need.

Basically I'm just looking for options. Keep in mind, I am trying to do this as cheap but effective as possible. I also want the new chassis to be quiet because I am now doing YouTube and I have to shut down the rack every time I want to record since it is co-located with my office and will most likely be again in the future.

Thanks for any insight,
Fuga

Dice

Wizard
If you want to save weight, get 10TB drives, and put them well ventilated in a plastic box.

Status
Not open for further replies.