HDD Expansion Setup Help Needed

tcwdjohn

Cadet
Hi all, I have just set up TrueNAS on an oldish system to get me started and to try and keep my files safe, Currently have the following drive setup which I am looking to expand but not sure what I need to do first.

8GB Ram DDR3 Ram
1 x 240GB Kingston SSD - TrueNAS files are stored here
2 x 2TB Disks setup as mirrored as Pool1
1 x 500GB Drive - Striped for Jails

1. I have just been given another 240GB SSD should I add this as a cache drive? or somehow mirror the setup drive?

2. Also what drive should I set the system dataset to? as currently set to boot-pool.

3. What to upgrade RAM, can I just shut down, turn off PSU and remove old memory and stick new memory in without messing anything?

4. If I want to expand the size of my Pool1, and have data safe, would I just need to purchase another 2 drives?

The system is in production so need to make sure I do not lose anything.

TIA

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
240GB SSD should I add this as a cache drive?
with 8GB of RAM (in fact with less than 32GB) absolutely don't do that.
or somehow mirror the setup drive?
You can, it's not really necessary.

Also what drive should I set the system dataset to? as currently set to boot-pool.
Leave it there, that's fine.

What to upgrade RAM, can I just shut down, turn off PSU and remove old memory and stick new memory in without messing anything?
This isn't really a hardware forum, so make sure you do your research on the right RAM for your board and CPU and about being static safe... ground yourself and the case before touching anything to do with RAM and be careful how you handle it... generally what you're saying is OK.

If I want to expand the size of my Pool1, and have data safe, would I just need to purchase another 2 drives?
That's the easiest way to do that. Should be no problem.

tcwdjohn

Cadet

This isn't really a hardware forum, so make sure you do your research on the right RAM for your board and CPU and about being static safe... ground yourself and the case before touching anything to do with RAM and be careful how you handle it... generally what you're saying is OK.

Thank you

tcwdjohn

Cadet

Is it safe to move the system dataset?

sretalla