How much RAM is needed for a ZFS mirroring layout on TrueNAS SCALE ?

How much RAM is needed for my case ?

• Total voters

vn_mnm

Explorer
Hello everyone,

I am planning to build my own NAS device running TrueNAS SCALE with 1 x 128GB SSD (OS drive) & 2 x 16TB HDDs in a ZFS mirroring layout similar to RAID 1. At minimum, how much RAM do I need to install on my motherboard ?

Thank you very much in advance.

NugentS

MVP
And what is your use case?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
At minimum, how much RAM do I need to install on my motherboard ?
Depending on what you expect it to do, the minimum is 8GB.

With 16TB of capacity, you might be happier with performance with 16GB of RAM... again depending on the workload you're throwing at it.

If you're just sharing files over SMB and playing media with Plex or Emby, 16GB is probably enough. 32GB may not deliver enough additional performance to notice unless you have a different, more demanding workload.

NugentS

MVP
I use a TN with 8GB, as a backup device - getting snapshots sent to it overnight. Not sure I would want to server files from it - but for its purpose it fine.

vn_mnm

Explorer
And what is your use case?
Thanks for your comment. I will be mainly using this as a file server hosting raw photo files from my cameras. However, it is a nature of ZFS filesystem to demand an additional of 1GB of RAM for every 1TB of HDD added into the pool, thus this topic comes into being.

So, if I am to install 2 x 16TB HDDs, will I have to install 32GB of RAM on the motherboard ? Or is 16GB enough in a ZFS mirroring layout similar to RAID 1 ?

NugentS

MVP
Do you intend to edit the files from the NAS or just store them? How big are individual files (in general)?
The 1GB for 1TB is a generalization. 8GB is minimum, I would use 16 and keep options open (if you can) for 32

vn_mnm

Explorer
Do you intend to edit the files from the NAS or just store them? How big are individual files (in general)?
The 1GB for 1TB is a generalization. 8GB is minimum, I would use 16 and keep options open (if you can) for 32

I plan to use my NAS mainly for storing the photos. The catalogue of the files as well as editing will be on my personal desktop PC.
Regarding the files, at the moment, since I am shooting with an APS-C digital camera, each of its raw files is on average 50MB, and the Photos folder on my PC now has almost reached 100GB. In the forseeable future, I plan to purchase another Medium Format digital camera and the APS-C system will be relegated to informal, travelling photography. From my Google research, each of the Medium Format’s raw file will be approximately 230MB on average. So 2x 16TB HDDs seem to be future proof for me.

If so, how much would you recommend me on the RAM size !?

vn_mnm

Explorer
Depending on what you expect it to do, the minimum is 8GB.

With 16TB of capacity, you might be happier with performance with 16GB of RAM... again depending on the workload you're throwing at it.

If you're just sharing files over SMB and playing media with Plex or Emby, 16GB is probably enough. 32GB may not deliver enough additional performance to notice unless you have a different, more demanding workload.
Thank you for your comment. It is actually the ZFS requirement of 1gb of additional RAM for every marginal increase of 1tb in HDD drive pool that worries me. In my case of just using 2x 16TB HDDs for a ZFS mirroring layout similar to RAID 1, are 32 gigs of RAM still needed !?

sretalla