Fastline

Patron
Hello Guys,

Happy New Year to everyone!

I'm having currently the following hardware:

Supermicro X11SSL-CF
Intel Xeon E3-1285 v6
4x16GB ECC DDR4 2400MHz
8xSeagate 10TB HDD (connected via onboard SAS3 LSI 3008 8i)
10GbE NIC
750W PSU

I'm getting a good deal on SSDs and planning to upgrade all the HDDs to SSDs. My question is when I upgrade it to SSD, will anything bottleneck here which can affect the speed? Especially the CPU/RAM.

Thanks

Last edited:

awasb

Patron
As long as we're talking "speed of file services" here: nope.

(Just make sure you get propper SSDs: "server grade" with PLP.)

danb35

Hall of Famer
(Just make sure you get propper SSDs: "server grade" with PLP.)
Why would you need PLP for data drives? For SLOG, yes, but OP didn't say anything about SLOG.

Fastline

Patron
Why would you need PLP for data drives? For SLOG, yes, but OP didn't say anything about SLOG.
Yes, that's what i thought!

As no VMs will be running on this mini NAS, i don't think SLOG would be required here or beneficial for my use case. However, you guys are pro. So let me know if i need one.

Thanks again!

awasb

Patron
@danb35 Well … concerning SSDs with internal (D)RAM cache it‘s not that easy to predict at what time data is effectively and truly flushed/synced. It‘s a function of the internal controller and can‘t be controlled by the OS. And then … persuasive advertising techniques combined with „vague“ fact sheets … That‘s why I never rely on SSDs w/o PLP … be it base or special vdev.

Imagine internal garbage collection / trim interrupted by a tiny little power outage. Just while those metadata blocks got shuffled around …

Last edited:

Fastline

Patron
@danb35 Well … concerning SSDs with internal (D)RAM cache it‘s not that easy to predict at what time data is effectively and truly flushed/synced. It‘s a function of the internal controller and can‘t be controlled by the OS. And then … persuasive advertising techniques combined with „vague“ fact sheets … That‘s why I never rely on SSDs w/o PLP … be it base or special vdev.
Hmm. But so far i was only aware that one needs that kind of drive for data vdevs as well. xD

BTW, with 8x1TB/2TB or 10x1TB/2TB SATA SSDs (500MB/s approx) what speed can be expected? disregarding the SMB limitations here? Let's say if i put 25GbE here and two clients which have 10GbE, can it work fine or i would need to add more drives to gain that kind of speed?

Davvo

MVP
There are several grades of PLP, but I am not knowledgable enough to write about them. Buy an UPS and you should be good.