Hardware Transcoding not working on Plex - What am I missing ?

gelsas

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I just got my NAS setup installed TrueNAS Scale. I have everything running and working great except, the hardware transcoding in Plex.

Below screenshots from my CPU and from my settings in the Plex app.

I have Allocated the GPU to Plex but still it does not use Hardware Transcoding (I am a PlexPass user).

Does anyone has an idea what the issue could be ?

I tried everything I thought of or what I was able to find on google but no luck.

Would love to get help from some more experienced TrueNAS users than me.

Best,
gelsas

CPU:
1694958667842.png

Plex Settings:
1694958926098.png

1694958991637.png

1694959054635.png

gelsas

Cadet
Does anyone have an idea what the reason could be ? Currently stuck with this issue and didn't figure it out yet

huizingajm

Cadet
I am having an issue that I think might be the same. When a file is transcoding from 4k HEVC to 1080p the audio is stuttering really bad, while the video plays fine. If I turn off transcode everything plays and sounds fine. I have a i7-8700 with UHD 630 iGPU, PlexPass sub as well.

I feel that the iGPU is not being used. Just wondering if I need to get a cheap GPU to handle this so the iGPU is out of the picture.

huizingajm

Cadet
I recently switched to a GTX 1650 and I am still having the issues. I am thinking it is an issue with Plex app itself on TrueNAS. I started a Plex Server on my desktop and moved the troubled file over and it plays just fine while transcoding

Yorick

Wizard
"Allocate 5" - that seems odd. Does Plex show the GPU under Settings -> Transcoder?

1701010322643.png

I have one iGPU and have this set to "Allocate 1 gpu.intel.com/i915 GPU". I am being offered 0 (not allocated) and 1 through 5. Choosing 1 worked.

My iGPU is also not connected to any display, the ASPEED on the board is. A kernel parameter takes care of the errors this created.

Saberwolf

Explorer
first off remove Host path Trans code volume you are running into permission issues with transcoder path you could also tell if there is an issue like that buy pulling plex logs
1705092560745.png

Also make shure you debug loggin enabled see pic
1705092608198.png

then in your console you will have to play around but you should be able to catch the offending issue there look for red text or yellow will help narrow it down. i need logs to see what it is complaining about. it will move buy vary quick. so have the console window up and play/transcode a video.

also you know it will be working when you see HW next to your transcode session see pic
1705092896009.png

In case anyone else runs into this I had the exact same issue and solved it following the steps in this post. I was missing firmware files in the /lib/firmware/i915 folder, and after downloading them this command loaded them at boot. After that transcoding was back to using hardware again for my Intel JasperLake [UHD Graphics].
sudo midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "i915.enable_guc=3"}'