SOLVED Plex hardware acceleration stopped working after update to Bluefin

fabiolanza

Dabbler
Hi, I had Plex with NVDIA acceleration working butter smooth on Angelfish. After update to Bluefin, even though GPU is still showing up in the Plex app settings, I am confident that it's no longer being used for acceleration as transcoding is lagging and my CPU is under ultra heavy load. Before the upgrade to Bluefin the CPU was never under load during transcoding.

Should I try to completely reinstall Plex? Are there any logs or further settings that I should check?

Thanks,
Fabio

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Lets see if anyone else has a similar issue.... but please provide full systems specs as requested in "Forum Rules"

fabiolanza

Dabbler
I posted this problem in Plex forum and someone suggested me to turn off the subtitles as it requires CPU to burn them into the video. After turning off subtitles the CPU load decreased to almost zero and image is no longer lagging meaning it's using the GPU for transcoding. I guess we really learn something new everyday.

My system settings are:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core
Corsair 32GB ECC DDR4
NVIDIA QUADRO P400
Seagate 4x 4TB Ironwolf HDD
Trident 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
ASRock X570 Gaming Phantom TB

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I posted this problem in Plex forum and someone suggested me to turn off the subtitles as it requires CPU to burn them into the video. After turning off subtitles the CPU load decreased to almost zero and image is no longer lagging meaning it's using the GPU for transcoding. I guess we really learn something new everyday.

My system settings are:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core
Corsair 32GB ECC DDR4
NVIDIA QUADRO P400
Seagate 4x 4TB Ironwolf HDD
Trident 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
ASRock X570 Gaming Phantom TB
Thanks for the update.... it is important to make sure all the variables that changes are documented. I'll mark this as "solved".