Hard Drive Brands and Models Recommendations

systract

Dabbler
Bought 12 Toshiba N300 14TB NAS 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drives (CMR SATA 6 GB/s 7200 RPM 512 MB Cache) from Amazon in last couple of month, there are 4 of them emitted alert: "Failed SMART usage Attribute: 7 Seek_Error_Rate" already.
Searched the forum, found there were some people had the same issue.
I am in the RMA process, but just wonder if there is any hard drive brand/model recommendations for TrueNAS.
Thanks!

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
In iX products, we use WD Red Plus and Ultrastar drives. So they get the most testing (and pass).

There are drives listed in Mini compatibility, but some of them are restricted to 8 bays.

systract

Dabbler
Thanks, always liked Ultrastar, don't remember what happened to me that wanted to give Toshiba a try:-(

MisterE2002

Patron
I have Toshiba MG09. Those are the Enterprise versions (and usually cheaper). Still rocking

Treddit700

Dabbler
Geez I'm in the same boat as your on 2 of the 3 Toshiba N300 10 TB drives I bought a month and a half ago. I guess I will start the RMA process my self as well. Sounds like you have to return the drives to them, right? What method of wiping the drives do you use? Or what is the standard method for that? I have since put pictures and personal documents on this drive which I'm assuming some harddrive expert can probably recover.

1677485569715.png

systract

Dabbler
Geez I'm in the same boat as your on 2 of the 3 Toshiba N300 10 TB drives I bought a month and a half ago. I guess I will start the RMA process my self as well. Sounds like you have to return the drives to them, right? What method of wiping the drives do you use? Or what is the standard method for that? I have since put pictures and personal documents on this drive which I'm assuming some harddrive expert can probably recover.

View attachment 64120
Just filled the form that they provided, waiting for response.
If your HD come off TrueNAS pool, I assume it is almost impossible for other to recover the data(some expert correct me).

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I assume it is almost impossible for other to recover the data(some expert correct me).
While it is certainly difficult to recover data from a single member of a ZFS vdev, I wouldn't say "impossible" especially in the case of mirror vdevs and very small files. If you're interested in protecting your data, I would suggest performing a "full wipe" before returning it - this can be done through the TrueNAS UI for disks that aren't a member of any pool under Storage -> Disks

1677531248353.png

Disks that are members of an encrypted pool or are SED (Self Encrypting Drives) with an active password are a different story, and are cryptographically secure.

systract

Dabbler
Thanks @HoneyBadger, nice to know

As for Toshiba RMA, the process was smooth, they said they would issue refund.

So I just ordered 2 WD Red pro (UltraStar 14TB is hard to find now).

nicholas-h

Dabbler
While it is certainly difficult to recover data from a single member of a ZFS vdev, I wouldn't say "impossible" especially in the case of mirror vdevs and very small files. If you're interested in protecting your data, I would suggest performing a "full wipe" before returning it - this can be done through the TrueNAS UI for disks that aren't a member of any pool under Storage -> Disks

View attachment 64128

Disks that are members of an encrypted pool or are SED (Self Encrypting Drives) with an active password are a different story, and are cryptographically secure.

Does the locked/unlocked state have anything to do with encryption being turned on/off or does a locked dataset simply mean it's logically offline? I can't seem to find the answer to that in the docs.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Does the locked/unlocked state have anything to do with encryption being turned on/off or does a locked dataset simply mean it's logically offline? I can't seem to find the answer to that in the docs.
The "locked/unlocked" state refers to the ability to access the data. Encryption itself is set to enabled or disabled when a pool, dataset, or zvol is created, and can't be changed after the fact.

Treddit700

Dabbler
Thanks guys. I'm going to start the RMA process today. I didn't realize they would just issue a refund. If that is the case I'll make the switch to WD red plus/pro as well. Also thanks for the wipe disc feature.. I'll be sure do that.

Treddit700

Dabbler
So I've already replaced one of my Toshiba N300 with WD Red Plus and after the replacement I noticed the smart test for both of the bad drives passed. The bad drive that is still in the pool (going to resilver that one soon) and the one that was just replaced. Does it seem strange that the messages went from 'failing now' to 'in the past'?

Either way they are being sent back this weekend, but thought it was interesting that things changed.

Also I should mention the replacement/resilvering process is pretty straightforward. The first drive took 3 hours to resilver (Pool size is 18TB(raidz1) and used is 2.8 TB). I wasn't sure what the time was going to be, but looks like they both will get resolved today.

1677709666730.png

systract

Dabbler
Was it long or short S.M.A.R.T test?

Treddit700

Dabbler
Was it long or short S.M.A.R.T test?
It was a short SMART test. I didn't even bother running a long one once the RMA was issued. I instead just added 1 WD RED plus at a time. Once the new WD RED was in and had replaced the Toshiba N300 I ran the short SMART test as I was curious.