SOLVED Had to power off and now I'm in GRUB rescue mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiroi Kage

Explorer
I came back today and saw that my FreeNAS box was really busy. Drives were being accessed like crazy and I was unable to do anything with direct access to the server, and the web UI as inaccessible. Pressing the power button normally starts a regular shutdown, so I tried it but nothing happened. It's not scheduled to scrub until the beginning of next month, and it's not connected to the internet so it shouldn't be updating either. So I did something that might be really stupid, and I forced a power off. When I booted again, I was on GRUB with the error "no such device: <some device ID>"

What do I do next? I have no idea how to use GRUB. I was booting off of a flash drive. Could it have gotten corrupted? Should I try to flash FreeNAS on a different USB stick and then attempt to import my array to it? Please advise.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler

Shiroi Kage

Explorer
Could be.

Worth a try, especially if you have a backup of your configuration.

May I ask what you mean by a backup of my configuration? Does that mean all my settings? Cause if so, I have very few of them that aren't on default.

Also, this would be the first time I import disks into a FreeNAS system. Do I use "import volume" on the web UI to import my array?

Shiroi Kage

Explorer
Yes and yes. See 5.2.1 and 8.1.6 in the User Guide.
Thanks a lot! I'll be sure to back up my configuration more often from now on.

I installed a small, spare SSD into a spare SATA port and had FreeNAS installed. Volume imported successfully and the data looks fine at first glance. I'm scrubbing now to make sure the RAID is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.