Grub Rescue Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanJask

Dabbler
I was half way through my set up in the web GUI and shutdown the system. When I powered it back up I got -

Error: checksum verification failed
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

Do I have to reload the config I already had? This is a fresh install with no data.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If you were not done with the installation, why would you shutdown?

By what method did you shutdown?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

AlanJask

Dabbler
If you were not done with the installation, why would you shutdown?

By what method did you shutdown?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I used the wrong terminology. The media was installed, I was mid way through configuration (running scrips, setting up the volume, fan controls, ect) I shut down through the webgui.

I am wondering if my install media was bad? I now get a critical error light in the web gui when I reinstalled everything.

Im going to try a different USB drive for the install media.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I used the wrong terminology. The media was installed, I was mid way through configuration (running scrips, setting up the volume, fan controls, ect) I shut down through the webgui.

I am wondering if my install media was bad? I now get a critical error light in the web gui when I reinstalled everything.

Im going to try a different USB drive for the install media.
It wouldn't shock me if the media was bad. The last time I used a USB stick for a boot drive, it was supposed to be 32GB, but after running for a couple weeks, it suddenly decided it was only 16GB and FreeNAS didn't fancy that too much, so my system crashed spontaneously. It was after that I decided that regular laptop style hard drives were a better choice for my boot drives and I have been using them in mirrored pairs ever since. I have 16405 hours on the set in my primary NAS with zero errors of any kind.

AlanJask

Dabbler
It wouldn't shock me if the media was bad. The last time I used a USB stick for a boot drive, it was supposed to be 32GB, but after running for a couple weeks, it suddenly decided it was only 16GB and FreeNAS didn't fancy that too much, so my system crashed spontaneously. It was after that I decided that regular laptop style hard drives were a better choice for my boot drives and I have been using them in mirrored pairs ever since. I have 16405 hours on the set in my primary NAS with zero errors of any kind.
Well thats good news. My system boot drives are sandisk 120gb SSDS and my installation media is on a 16gb sandisk cruz. I am hoping there isn't an issue with the hard drives. I should be up and running in the next 10min, hopefully I will see a green light for once.

AlanJask

Dabbler
I am still getting the attached message after loading a fresh install. I am guessing this shouldn't be something over looked?

Maybe I should pick up 2 new 120gb SSDs?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 10.45.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 10.45.51 AM.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 263

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Supermicro MBD-X10SRL-F
Xeon E5-1620v4
64gb Samsung M393A2G40DB0-CPB
24 x 8tb WD Red Drives
Boot Disks 2x 120gb Sandisk
IBM M1015 HBA IT FLASHED
PSU 0 2x SuperMicro PWS-920P-SQ
Backplane - SuperMicro BPN-SAS-846A
Intel Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X540-T2
Chassis - SAS846TQ
Sorry, I saw that the boot drives were SanDisk and didn't think about them making SSDs now. That looks to be a good build and with the boot drives being SSDs I wouldn't have expected the problem you had. Are the boot drives connected to the system board SATA ports? What are the BIOS settings (AHCI) for those ports? I know that my system board had some fake-RAID functionality in the SATA controller that I had to disable before it would work properly.

AlanJask

Dabbler
The boot drives are connected to the motherboard. I will have to check the BIOS on those ports, I haven't changed much in the BIOS settings for this build yet.

AlanJask

Dabbler
Sorry, I saw that the boot drives were SanDisk and didn't think about them making SSDs now. That looks to be a good build and with the boot drives being SSDs I wouldn't have expected the problem you had. Are the boot drives connected to the system board SATA ports? What are the BIOS settings (AHCI) for those ports? I know that my system board had some fake-RAID functionality in the SATA controller that I had to disable before it would work properly.
Ok just looked the ports are AHCI..
Maybe I should try one boot drive at a time, see if one of them is bad?

AlanJask

Dabbler
I got the SSDs working singularly. Am I doing something wrong when selecting both drives on installation for a mirrored set up?

My NAS also tanked yesterday or over the weekend. I have a 16GB USB drive. I still don't know what caused it. I deleted everything off of the USB and reinstalled. I'm in the process of uploading and old config that I have... but it is from 11.0-U2 and I have installed new 11.1-U4. I'm about to find out if I have to start over...

AlanJask

Dabbler
My NAS also tanked yesterday or over the weekend. I have a 16GB USB drive. I still don't know what caused it. I deleted everything off of the USB and reinstalled. I'm in the process of uploading and old config that I have... but it is from 11.0-U2 and I have installed new 11.1-U4. I'm about to find out if I have to start over...
Supposedly SSDs are more reliable for boot drives. I had two SSDs, running into a mirroring issue of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.