Grub rescue mode error: unknown filesystem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayvyn

Cadet
Im having issues with a FreeNAS mini...after a power outage the system would not boot, it did not find the SSD that comes with the OS installed.

After fidlling with the BIOS settings I can now see its detected but when I boot it gives me an error and sends me to grub rescue, there no mater what partition I check it gives me an error indicating an unknown filesystem, I even wanted to install freeBSD onto a USB flash drive and have it at least boot to rescue my data (I know i should have a backup but i don't :S).

It boots but nothing works it gives me errors like its missing stuff from the kernel and I cant even log in with the password I configured during install...

So any help would be greatly appreciated...

Regards.

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forum - sorry that you are suffering at the moment.

I believe your best course of action is to make a new install USB stick from a downloaded .iso and run it to install a fresh version of FreeNAS on the Mini's SSD following all the manual instructions. Once booted into the new FreeNAS install, if you saved your config file, import it. If you didn't save it you will have to reconfigure your shares, etc.

I would expect your data to be fine.

rayvyn

Cadet
Is there any specific way to configure the BIOS UEFI settings???
I ask this becuse I downloaded FreeNAS 11.1 and followed the instructions to install on to another USB stick

Redcoat

MVP
Though I did this multiple times on mine recently, I honestly don't recall. If I were you I would try it as it is currently set and if it doesn't work, reboot and make another selection from the boot screen - I know that's what i did but cannot now describe the specifics.

rayvyn

Cadet
Ok cool, I will try to reinstall onto the onboard SSD and see whats happens hopefully my data isnt FUBAR

rayvyn

Cadet
Im getting an error indicating missing columns after the install...
Code:
Error: no such column...vlan_pcp

Then after those i get a grub error....unknown filesystem....

Any ideas????

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Describe what your did to reinstall. Literally every single step like I have no clue how to do it.

rayvyn

Cadet
I was finally able to reinstall the OS, I removed the SATA SSD since it appears its damaged, so I followd the how-to on how to install to a USB stick

Now the probem im facing is that the system doesnt see any volumes just the 4 disks...so should I import the disks one by one or is something wrog (I literally have 0 experience with freenas)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You upload your config if you have it or you go to Storage -> Import Volume and select your volume. If you do not have your config file you will have to setup everything; scrubs, smart tests, shares, email notifications, users, groups, networking and jails.

Status
Not open for further replies.