Stuck at grub rescue after reboot

kingnothin

Cadet
I apologize in advance that some of the initial details on this are fuzzy, I got stuck here a couple days ago and I'm only now getting around to trying to fix things.

My FreeNAS box mainly serves as my media server, running Plex. I have a small SSD running FreeNAS and a large spinning disk to hold media. Tried to watch something the other day and I couldn't connect to the plex server. I logged into the web admin and it said that a volume was unavailable (I think that was it?). I feared that something had gone wrong with the spinning disk. I figured I would cross my fingers and reboot to see if that helped, but I found that the left panel in the web admin view wasn't loading. (I think that's where the reboot option shows up? I know I searched high and low for it and couldn't find the option anywhere) So I hit the reset button on the case itself.

And then...nothing. I hooked up a monitor and keyboard and found that it was sitting at a grub rescue prompt.

Loading Operating System ...
GRUB loading..
Welcome to GRUB!

error: checksum verification failed.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

I can make my way around a linux shell (software dev by day), but I know zip about linux installations and grub, so here I am hoping someone can help me get things going again. I don't recall ever explicitly backing up my config (lesson learned) so I'm REALLY hoping there might be a way to recover that somehow if I have to reinstall FreeNAS?

Things I've tried so far after some googling.
ls
(hd0) (hd0,gpt2) (hd0,gpt1) (hd1) (hd1,gpt2) (hd1,gpt1)

ls for each of those gave Filesystem is unknown except for (hd0,gpt2) which gave Filesystem is zfs

insmod normal
error: checksum verification failed

set
cmdpath=(hd0)
prefix=(hd0,gpt2)/grub/@
root=hd0,gpt2

Any help is appreciated!

D

dlavigne

Does a fresh install of the same version on a different boot media resolve the issue? If so, you can restore a previously saved config.