SOLVED FreeNAS installation failed with Grub error

Status
Not open for further replies.

isagarran

Dabbler
Configuration :
  • MotherBoard socket 1155 MSI H67MA-E35 (Revision B3).
  • FreeNAS ISO FreeNAS-11-MASTER-201705301633-0de045e.iso
  • 6 disks Seagate Barracuda 2Tb
  • Memory 8Gb
  • OCZ PSU ZS550W-EU - ZS Series, 550W 80Plus Bronze
  • Processor Intel® Celeron® Processor G530 (2M Cache, 2.40 GHz)
  • I intent to configure RAIDZ2 as advised by senior FreeNAS
  • CD/DVD device for installation
  • SSD SATA device connected as USB device
Hello,

I succesfully created FreeNAS CD installation as described in the documentation, then I booted on it and installed on SSD device FreeNAS.
Up to there there is a panel that ask me if I want to configure, go on the shell and shutdown and reboot. I choose this option.

Rebooting, I got these errors
Grib loading
Welcome to Grub !
error unknown filesystem.
Entering rescue mode ...
grub rescue > ls
(hd0) (hd0.gpt2) (hd0.gpt1) (hd1) (hd1.gpt2) (hd1,gpt1) (hd2) (hd3) (hd4) (hd5) (hd6)
ls (hd0.gpt1)
(hd0.gpt1): FileSystem is unknown

same for hd0.gpt2 and other

I tried bios mode and uefi but I got the same results. Could you help me ?

Regards,
Isagarran

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcoat

MVP
Before shutting down after installing FreeNAS on the SSD, did you change the boot order in the mobo BIOS to select the SSD as the first boot device?

isagarran

Dabbler
Hello,
yes I did. (either UEFI storage or USB mass storage, depending of option chosen at installation time)
Regards,
Isagarran

Redcoat

MVP
Couple more questions - was the SATA SSD "clean" before you installed FreeNAS on it or could it have had partitions on it already?

Though not likely the issue at hand, why are you installing 11-Master and not 11-Stable?

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
SSD SATA device connected as USB device
This kind of configuration may be causing an issue depending on the
makeup of the adapter used.

isagarran

Dabbler
Hello,
I didn't format the SSD disk before using it. Installation process destroys any data on it, so I supposed that it was unneeded. Perhaps I need to format it in FAT partition before installation.
The disk is correctly shown by Bios and Installer. When installer asks for which partition to install Freenas. I saw all 6 SATA disks and also the USB SSD one.
Instalation process didn't show any errors using SSD disk.
I'll be at home this week-end, I'll try format and reinstall Freenas.
I'll let you know about this test. I hope it is not due to SATA to USB adapter, that I'm using. I'll be surprised as I ddn't get any problems at installation time.
regards
Isagaran

isagarran

Dabbler
Hello,
I didn't fully answer to your question. I took Master because .... no special reason. I don't remember if another one is available. I've just been on Freenas site and I saw Freenas 11.0 is available as FreeNAS-11.0-U2.iso. So I'll download it, build again the CD and from there I'll do the install.
Thanks for your warning. I did a similar mistake few years ago when I took Freenas 9.3 beta.
Regards.
Isagarran

Redcoat

MVP
In order to be certain of the state of the SSD, I would use Gparted to create a single GPT partition for the SSD before reinstalling FreeNAS on it.

isagarran

Dabbler
Hello,
Right, there are two partitions on the SSD disk.
I successfully boot on the SSD disk. I formatted the disk using gparted then and I moved also the SSD on USB 2.0 connector.
So I booted.
Thanks for the advices. I appreciated your support and your help.
isagarran

Status
Not open for further replies.