System boot dead after update to 11.0-U2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillCardiff

Explorer
bufio.mod not found. Stuck in grub rescue mode.

"GRUB loading . .
Welcome to GRUB!

error: file 'bufio.mod' not found.
Entering rescue mode...

Now I can mess about a bit with the rescue mode of grub, but the command set is soooo limited

set
ls
insmod

Supermicro motherboard, pair of L5630 xeons, 96G of ECC ram. 2 pools, one of 8 drives 4 & 3 TB drives in RAIDz2, and one of 4 3TB drives in RAIDz1. Was booting from a mirror of USB drives.
Now am not booting.
Tried pulling one or the other for boot in case that was just an easy fix, didn't change the results at all.

With one USB drive, "ls" gives me (hd0), (hd0,gpt1), (hd0,gpt2) (fd0) ... and the only directory that is legible is (hd0,gpt2)

Running "set" shows me cmdpath=(hd0), prefix=(hd0,gpt2)grub/@, root=hd0,gpt2

Any assistance would be great. System was running great, until I ran the update. Never recovered from the update.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Does a fresh install of the latest version on a fresh USB stick resolve the issue?

m0nkey_

MVP
Re-install FreeNAS and restore your config.

Another workaround that appears to work is to boot the installer and select Upgrade. This should fix the boot issue.

BillCardiff

Explorer
Will try this when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
In the future before updating i would reboot the server to rule out a faulty or marginal usb drive.

rogerh

Guru
In the future before updating i would reboot the server to rule out a faulty or marginal usb drive.
If he has mirrored boot drives, would a scrub give the same reassurance?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If he has mirrored boot drives, would a scrub give the same reassurance?
A scrub would check for data integrity but a reboot may reveal a marginal but functional drive. Generally if it survives a reboot is should survive the update process. It's something I saw recommended on the pfSense forum for the guys running the nano version since like FreeNAS the boot drive sees little activity once the machine is up and running until update time rolls around.

BillCardiff

Explorer
I have had a couple of power outages over the last two weeks (weather related) and have not had issues with with the USB drives or the server reloading, until the update. I am about to put the ISO onto a USB drive and clean one of the drives to reload the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.