GRUB Loading. Welcome to GRUB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to FreeNAS. I'm trying to install this on a HP DV7 laptop (see specs below). I used rufus to create the bootable 16GB USB drive from the ISO 9.10 image. I also have another 16GB USB drive inserted on the laptop. The laptop will boot with the USB drives plugged in but I get stuck on the screen:

GRUB loading.
Welcome to GRUB!

I assume the 9.10 version was corrupted so I re-downloaded 9.10 again last night. I still seem to have the same problem. Any suggestions for this newbie?

Laptop SPECS:
CPU: i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHZ
Mem: 16GB
BIOS Version: F.1B
BIOS Vendor: Insyde

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Initial thought: Don't install FreeNas on a Laptop

Nice thought: If you are trying to elvaluate it; then maybe check your BIOS to see if changing the boot to BIOS or UEFI? Perhaps, maybe if you could try the hard drive controller to IDE or AHCI (No RAID if there is an option).

Final thought: Don't install FreeNas on a Laptop ;)

melloa

Wizard
Initial thought: Don't install FreeNas on a Laptop

Nice thought: If you are trying to elvaluate it; then maybe check your BIOS to see if changing the boot to BIOS or UEFI? Perhaps, maybe if you could try the hard drive controller to IDE or AHCI (No RAID if there is an option).

Final thought: Don't install FreeNas on a Laptop ;)

With you here. Evaluate? Yes. Production, even for a home use, No.

I did run into some problems with installers not starting due to video memory sharing. If I recall was a HP box and I was playing with pf ... So check video memory sharing settings as well.

P.S. In my case was a NO GO, so re-purposed the box to something else ;)

joeschmuck

Old Man
You could take the laptop and install Windows XP or better, then install VMWare Player and then install FreeNAS as a VM, should work fine to evaluate.

Status
Not open for further replies.