Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I'm a landscape architect and urban planner and do most of my work on computers with CAD and other 3D-visualization software. IT isn't my day job, but I am a PC-building enthusiast at home. I chose to build a NAS mainly because I'm into photography and shooting video.

I built my first NAS about ten months ago. It has performed well but it recently suffered a dual usb flash drive failure (it went down because I didn't have my email alerts set up). It was down for a week or two but I just got it back up and running. I started on Corral, that was the cool new thing back in early March of '17 when I was building it, but plan to migrate to FreeNAS 11 once I read enough and understand how to properly and safely transition.

The two mirrored usb boot flash drives that died were Sandisk Ultra Fit 16GB drives if anyone is curious. Not sure how long it took for the first one to go, but the last one made it a little over 9 1/2 months.

I'm here to learn and looking forward to being a part of the community.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Welcome to the forums.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I started on Corral, that was the cool new thing back in early March of '17 when I was building it, but plan to migrate to FreeNAS 11 once I read enough and understand how to properly and safely transition.
First of all, Welcome to the forums.

Well there is no transition from Corral to FreeNAS 11. Basically you are left to perform a new installation. But keep reading about it, there are still some souls who run Corral and they will start to complain about no upgrade path to FreeNAS 11.1 or 11.2. The databases are not compatable from what I understand. Your pool will still be fine but the configuration data of course cannot be transferred.

The two mirrored usb boot flash drives that died were Sandisk Ultra Fit 16GB drives if anyone is curious. Not sure how long it took for the first one to go, but the last one made it a little over 9 1/2 months.
If possible I'd recommend replacing the USB flash drives with a single SSD, the size only needs to be 16GB or larger, let cost be your guide. You don't need a high end SSD either, any cheap SSD will do fine. This will allow the boot drive to last likely well beyond your FreeNAS use.

Status
Not open for further replies.