Future of plugins in FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdspieg

Contributor
Since FreeNAS 11.1 will supposedly have Docker, can somebody please explain to us how that will change things for those of us who have things set up in the current jails with the repository-pbi's? Will we be able to just install any of the apps in Docker as well and hook the up to our current folders? Including the various settings? Will this be CLI- or GUI-based? What will be the (dis)advantages? Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
It is my understanding that the jails will remain and I hope that is still true. So all I can say is a jails should still be available. I'm not sure if plugins will still be available for jails or if they are exclusively going to Docker.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Several facts incoming:
  • Some sort of Docker integration will probably arrive in 11.1, in late summer (northern hemisphere)
  • Jails are getting a new manager, iocage, which is already present in 11.0 and will be plumbed into the GUI in 11.1
  • Along with iocage, a new plugin format will be made available/is available, which is said to greatly simplify things
  • Several plugins have already been ported to the new system
  • Docker is not going to be used for the plugins per se, but the FreeNAS Docker container repository, set up for Corral, will probably be available, ideally including the existing containers

sdspieg

Contributor
Thanks for those answers. But what would the advantages be of Docker over what we have now?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks for those answers. But what would the advantages be of Docker over what we have now?
It's supposed to be simpler, but I can't comment on that because I haven't tried it.

ajschot

Patron
It is really easy to setup, and you can better control more the amount of ram and cpu(at least how it is in Corral)

joeschmuck

Old Man
You should be able to use any docker container that has been made by anyone on the face of the planet. If you go to Docker Hub you will find lots of dockers which a person could use so this gives a person some other options besides the current pre-built plugins.

sdspieg

Contributor
Well, I guess that all of those things seem worthwhile. And will we be able to transfer all of our settings that we have for our current programs there too? Or will all of it have to be reconfigured from scratch?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well, I guess that all of those things seem worthwhile. And will we be able to transfer all of our settings that we have for our current programs there too? Or will all of it have to be reconfigured from scratch?
Good question. I would expect jails to migrate. I don't know about Dockers.

pschatz100

Guru
  • Jails are getting a new manager, iocage, which is already present in 11.0 and will be plumbed into the GUI in 11.1
  • Along with iocage, a new plugin format will be made available/is available, which is said to greatly simplify things
  • Several plugins have already been ported to the new system
If I install the current FreeNAS 11.0 RC then create a jail using iocage, will there be a way for it to be seen by the GUI once 11.1 comes around?

My goal is to install the Plex-pass version of Plex Media Server, but I would like to manage the jail through the GUI.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If I install the current FreeNAS 11.0 RC then create a jail using iocage, will there be a way for it to be seen by the GUI once 11.1 comes around?
I'm not sure.

sdspieg

Contributor
Even though the location of various key configuration files of various apps might differ - wouldn't it be possible to write a script that export all key files from the jail in such a way that they can then be re-imported into the docker container?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why would you want to move them to Docker?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I would think that a clean install would be desired (it is by me) and it would likely produce the best results (based on experience). Trying to move something from one format to another doesn't always work as expected.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It is really easy to setup, and you can better control more the amount of ram and cpu(at least how it is in Corral)
You can do that because it's running in a VM (and that will also be the case with 11.whatever, and for the foreseeable future--Docker on FreeBSD seems to be Mostly Dead (tm)). The flip side of that is that the RAM and CPU available to the Docker will only be whatever you've allocated to that VM. So, it can't exhaust resources and crash your machine (as Plex used to do to me), but it only has access to limited resources of its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.