freenas plugins by ansible

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikke

Contributor
Hi, as the 10 will change the way to use jails, I started mental preparation. My NAS was built low power consumption in mind at the time, so it is not capable running VMs. So no docker.

Rumour says iocage is the new jail mechanism. That gives plain freebsd, which is good base for automating the plugins future proof way using ansible. A bit like here: https://github.com/JoergFiedler/freebsd-ansible-demo

I'd rather not install ssh into each jail for ansible access. Nor would I want to configure FreeNAS BSD part via ansible. I heard there is new cli coming to freenas. The most beautiful way would be to have ansible module for the CLI to configure FreeNAS and list of jails and mounts. That would store the configs FreeBSD native way. Then configure jail contents purely from ansible.

So my questiom would be: Has anyone yet made any ansible control for FreeBSD, or are there any plans for such?

looking into re-using someone else's work here :)

BR ikke

D

dlavigne

Not sure, and certainly not right away as ATM 10 doesn't have an API. It also won't be using jails. Last I heard, it was bhyve and docker but the actual design is still being worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.