FreeNAS Web GUI Partial Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattman555

Cadet
For some reason when I open the web gui to my FreeNAS 8.3 device the logon page works but the main page after that only partially appears.
There is nothing I can click on and no real data comes up. (See Attached Screen Shot)

What I have tried…
No matter which browser (IE, Firefox, Chrome) or platform (MAC, Win7, Win8, Win2K8, or Win2K12) I use I get the same results.
I have rebooted the FreeNAS device

What I’m wondering…
Is there some sort of device cache or log I might need to clear out to reset the web gui?

I’m not quite sure how to fix this any advice is most appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-06 at 8.49.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-06 at 8.49.03 PM.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 223

russnas

Contributor
reset web credentials on the machine?, I think its number 7 or try updating it to FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2

mattman555

Cadet
reset web credentials on the machine?, I think its number 7 or try updating it to FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2

Thanks for the suggestions...

I have tried resetting the web credentials, I missed listed it earlier, and the results were the same.

I have thought about upgrading, but is there a specific fix listed in the upgrade that resolves this issue?
If not its not worth the bother.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Protip: Not everything they fix is listed in the release notes. Best case big ticket features are included.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
It might be because your USB key got corrupted, but it is impossible to say for sure.

Only way to know is using the webbrowser in developer mode and check the console.

Best course of action would be get the config you've saved or install it again in another USB and try it out.

AaronLS

Dabbler
Having exactly same issue, identical as screenshot, with this version I installed fresh onto virtualbox: freenas - FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 (r12686+b770da6_dirty)

Sometimes page doesn't load at all, sometime it loads as per screenshot. There are always errors. The seem to vary though between occurrences. Sometimes I reboot server and it doesn't fix it(also tried clearing browser cache), sometimes it does fix it.

JS console in Chrome:
Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token :
Pagination.js:480​

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ILLEGAL
Menu.js:132​

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ILLEGAL
DataGrid.js:15​

EXPERIMENTAL: dojox.timing -- APIs subject to change without notice.
dojo.js:15​

1. Uncaught Error: declare dijit.form._SelectMenu: base class is not a callable constructor.
    dojo.js:15​

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Try firefox.

AaronLS

Dabbler
Same issue was occurring in firefox.

It was just working at the moment in firefox after last reboot, so I tried refreshing page and it was still fine, then I did a Ctrl+F5 and now same issue. Screen looks exactly same as it did in chrome and above screenshot:
[02:03:53.266] SyntaxError: illegal character @ http://192.168.56.50/static/lib/js/...eModel.js?d7b23029b1e3475f99087115ba8a59a9:35
[02:03:53.287] SyntaxError: illegal character @ http://192.168.56.50/dojango/dojo-m...gistry.js?d7b23029b1e3475f99087115ba8a59a9:75
[02:03:53.464] EXPERIMENTAL: dojox.timing -- APIs subject to change without notice.
[02:03:53.571] EXPERIMENTAL: dojox.grid.EnhancedGrid -- APIs subject to change without notice.
[02:03:53.584] EXPERIMENTAL: dojox.grid.TreeGrid -- APIs subject to change without notice.
[02:03:53.588] dojo/parser::parse() error (new TypeError("_14.add is not a function", "http://192.168.56.50/dojango/dojo-m...idgetBase.js?d7b23029b1e3475f99087115ba8a59a9", 48))
[02:03:53.590] TypeError: registry.byId is not a function @ http://192.168.56.50/static/lib/js/freeadmin/Menu.js?d7b23029b1e3475f99087115ba8a59a9:22

AaronLS

Dabbler
Oddly enough, I can sit there and refresh repeatedly and sometimes it will load correctly(without me having to reboot server) and then it will work fine for awhile, then break.

Refreshing many times in Chrome, it still has never worked.

AaronLS

Dabbler
I verified the sha256 hash of the iso and it is perfect. I did a fresh install and still same issue. Seems like the web server or somewhere in the request pipeline is corrupting files, see the next to last line of this file:
define(["dijit/tree/ForestStoreModel", "dojo/_base/declare", "dojo/_base/lang"], function(ForestStoreModel, declare, lang) {
var MyForestStoreModel = declare("freeadmin.tree.ForestStoreModel", [ForestStoreModel], {
getChildren: function(parentItem, callback, onError){
if(parentItem === this.root){
if(this.root.children){
// already loaded, just return
callback(this.root.children);
}else{
this.store.fetch({
query: this.query,
queryOptions: {cache:false},
onComplete: lang.hitch(this, function(items){
this.root.children = items;
callback(items);
}),
onError: onError
});
}
}else{

/*
* This is the piece were we overwrite over the super class
* We do this to overwrite the deferred item load,
* {re}loading the node everytime
*/
var store = this.store;
store.loadItem({
item: parentItem,
onItem: function(parItem){
callback(parItem.children);
},
onError: onError
});
}
������#�������������������urn MyForestStoreModel;

});

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Maybe you should try a different USB stick. Only "name brand" USB sticks are recommended for FreeNAS. The bargain bin USB sticks are usually trash and cause many people problems.

AaronLS

Dabbler
While I am having the same issue as OP, as I mentioned I am installed to a VirtualBox VM, not on a USB stick.(not meant to be yelling, just wanted to make sure you see this) I have installed twice on to separate VMs. Sometimes I go the whole not repeatedly trying to get into the webgui, rebooting guest, rebooting host, clearing browser cache, etc. I will be eventually installing on bare metal but I want to make sure I'm happy with my ability to administer before I buy hardware.

Any other suggestions would be recommended.

Where are the system and web server log files located?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The logs are in /var and /var/logs

Edit: Make sure you chose the appropriate hardware for your VM. Some people chose to deviate from the recommended/default hardware for NICs, SATA controllers, etc and it seems to never end well for them.

AaronLS

Dabbler
Still getting this issue. The first javascript error is in:
/dojango/dojo-media/release/1.8.3/dojo/dojo.js?cache=d7b23029b1e3475f99087115ba8a59a9

I think that the server side cache of this file is corrupt. How do I force the server to clear the web server's caches of these files so it regenerates the cache? Rebooting the server has no effect., either that or whatever is causing the issue is reoccurring each reboot.

AaronLS

Dabbler
Found the issue: http://serverfault.com/questions/40...acters-nginx-on-linux-as-guest-system-in-vbox

I had to edit both /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf and nginx.conf-dist
In the http { block change sendfile off;

then ran:
service nginx restart

Issue was resolved immediately, and the GUI actually functions alot better(faster responsiveness and looks better). I believe even when it was loading fully, some of the CSS was getting corrupted.

Of course this is lost on reboot.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Found the issue: http://serverfault.com/questions/40...acters-nginx-on-linux-as-guest-system-in-vbox

I had to edit both /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf and nginx.conf-dist
In the http { block change sendfile off;

then ran:
service nginx restart

Issue was resolved immediately, and the GUI actually functions alot better(faster responsiveness and looks better). I believe even when it was loading fully, some of the CSS was getting corrupted.

Of course this is lost on reboot.

So the moral of this story is....

Don't virtualize?

Wonder where I have heard that before.......

AaronLS

Dabbler
That's not a moral. The documentation refers to not running freenas virtualized in production. This is not in production. This is testing+proof of concept+writing some documentation relevant to how I will have this setup here. I found the issue and took the time to post it here so that others might find it. On the other hand your flippant response contributes nothing to this thread.

And its not like incompatibilities are something unique to virtual machines. There's always that risk you will run into hardware/drivers that cause issues.

Whattteva

Wizard
While pirateghost may be in the wrong for jumping to conclusions. You never really specified that you're not running in production, so you do share some of the blame.
Especially, considering that we get so many people here that lose their data due to virtualizing and then going to the forums asking for help (some are pretty rude, too).
Your "experimental build" is not the typical norm when people come here for help.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
feel better?

have a browse around the forums and you will find the answer to making the change stick....

Status
Not open for further replies.