Freenas jail mount points, requiring assistance

I have tried and tried to get Plex to see my TV shows and one time it worked. Then I starting setting up some other plugins, deleted the original mount point for plex due to those issues, and I have not got it to work since. Been working/reading guides for 4 days now trying to figure out why it is not working. And, as helpful as the guides are, for basic stuff, they are not. I uploaded a video on youtube going over the exact issue I am having.

Linked here: https://youtu.be/K7ehdiZv6aY

Basically I install plex then create a mount point for /mnt/FreeNAS/FreeNAS/TMad/TV to the destination /media/TV. Now I have tried many different destinations to see if that is the issue but with no resolve. Without linking me to another guide, can someone tell me what is happening? Or is it bugged and I need to wait for an update?

SavageAUS

Patron
Instead of setting the destination mount point to /media/tv or what ever it was, browse through the jail directory structure until you find jail/root/media then add your custom path to that. Like jail/root/media/tv. Then once your in the plex GUI and want to add your tv shows all you type in is /media/tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I set the mount point destination to /mnt/iocage/jails/plex/root/media/TV and the jail now fails to start.
freenas /middlewared: [iocage:48] + Start FAILED

SavageAUS

Patron

William Bravin

Contributor
Hello all

I* have Frenass working fine and I decided to extend its functionality by adding emby to manage my media on the server and populate all my kodi pcs

Emby server was installed correctly. How ever it will not load into its library my TV shows.
Movies and music have been loaded and configured and they work

I use frenass 11.2 and the emby plugin ver 4.2.1.0

I have configured the jail correctly

I have 3 libraries
  1. Movies (all movies in their seperate folders)
  2. TV Shows (all show are in separate series folders, then season the episode)
  3. Music (all artists in separate folders then albums then tracks)
all my mount points have the same structure in the jail
/mnt/media/music /mnt/media/iocage/jails/emby/root/media/music
/mnt/media/movies /mnt/media/iocage/jails/emby/root/media/movies
/mnt/media/TV Shows /mnt/media/iocage/jails/emby/root/media/tv shows

I added the 3 libraries to emby... Music Movies TV Shows
Upon scanning the libraries, the scan populated the movies library and the music library but did not load tv shows library

I deleted the tv shows library in emby and then re configured it

I deleted and readded the tv shows mount point

I deleted the tv shows library again in emby and then re configured it

and still the TV shows library will not populate

Can Anyone spot what i am doing incorrectly?

Thank you for looking at this and thank you in advance for any help given

diedrichg

Wizard
/mnt/media/iocage/jails/emby/root/media/movies
/mnt/media/TV Shows /mnt/media/iocage/jails/emby/root/media/tv shows

I added the 3 libraries to emby... Music Movies TV Shows
Upon scanning the libraries, the scan populated the movies library and the music library but did not load tv shows library

I deleted the tv shows library in emby and then re configured it

I deleted and readded the tv shows mount point

I deleted the tv shows library again in emby and then re configured it

and still the TV shows library will not populate

Can Anyone spot what i am doing incorrectly?

Thank you for looking at this and thank you in advance for any help given
In the future, please create your own thread for your issues.

Do you have your directory structure set properly per the Emby Wiki?
https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV-naming

You should have:
Code:
 \TV
    \Glee (2009)
       \Season 1
          Glee S01E01.mp4
          Glee S01E02.mp4

William Bravin

Contributor
Thank you for your reply

Yes this is my folder structure. Its like when emby scans it does not see the folders

William Bravin

Contributor
Hello

In addition i would like to say that emby created the library but when it came time to scan it it look like it did not fine any content

diedrichg

Wizard
Hello

In addition i would like to say that emby created the library but when it came time to scan it it look like it did not fine any content
In Emby do you have the library set as TV Series or mixed content? It should be TV Series. I'd also check the permissions for both the mapped jail folder and FreeNAS dataset folder to make sure that they can be written to. Also, check the Emby log to see if there are any clues to why a scan is failing or if there are any errors at all.

William Bravin

Contributor
Hello

Thank you for your reply

In emby I have a library call TV Show set up as tv Shows . the permissions for the jail is set the same for all libraries.

have this error in the logs

2019-10-04 08:34:30.559 Info LibraryMonitor: Skipping realtime monitor for /media/TV Shows because the path does not exist.

Yet emby does recognize the path when i set up the TV shows library. It offer no faults when I choose /media/TV Shows as a path. I believe that this is the cause of my problem however i have no clue on how to fix this.

I have been at this issue for the whole week with not success.

Once again thank you

diedrichg

Wizard
Rename the jail folder to something without spaces "TVShows" and then point the Emby TV library to that location. See if that works.

You said the permissions for the jail was the same for the libraries, but what about the actual folder inside the jail for TV? Emby needs permissions for that too. Just set it to 777.

William Bravin

Contributor
Thank you for your reply

All permission for all datasets aree recursively. I tried to put tv shows in lower case. to no avail.

I am about to give up on emby. I am so frustrated with it that i removed the jail which removed the plug in I performed a iocage clean -a in the Freenas shell and i deleted the iocage dataset from the pool.

At this point i believe that i have removed all traces of emby, and returned to a simple freenas installation/

Once again thank you

William Bravin

Contributor
Thank you all for your help

as inspector clouseau would say my probleme is solved

diedrichg

Wizard
Thank you all for your help

as inspector clouseau would say my probleme is solved
Sorry to hear you weren't able to figure it out. That's a real bummer because Emby is great, and FreeNAS is great. Getting them in the same box shouldn't be so much trouble. I hope to do just that in about a year when I rebuild my FreeNAS box.

William Bravin

Contributor
HI @diedrichg

Life is a learning experience. In these past 3 weeks i learned a lot about media metadata, permissions and command line instruction. although I was frustrated many moments I am happy i persevered in using the forums to learn

I deleted the jails and the emby plugin
performed a line command to clean the iocage
  • iocage clean -a
I deleted the iocage dataset in the storage status
the re-installed the emby plugin
in the jail before adding mount points

I applied this is the solution in the jail shell That was provided to me by an emby architect
  • service emby-server stop
  • pw groupmod emby -n emby -g 1000
  • pw usermod emby -n emby -u 1000 -g 1000
  • chown -R emby:emby /var/db/emby(hit tab)
  • service emby-server start
where the UID and GID used was that of the owners of the datasets. He suggested to create a new user and group id

The added mount points in a vanilla configuration
then selected to manage the emby plugin
added the folders .. and there were all 3 mount points media/music, media/tv shows and media/movies

after 22 hours of scanning now all is rosie in lala land

and it worked

Once again thank you all for your help

diedrichg

Wizard
Wow! That's fantastic! Great to hear and thanks for the steps you took, I'll reference them when I decide to move my Emby server to FreeNAS.