FreeNAS hangs immediately after "Boot FreeNAS Installer" is selected, with "Booting..." highlighted in blue

corvi

Cadet
I've spent a little over 16 hours at this point tinkering with installing FreeNAS on an old PC. I've tried multiple versions, including 11.3, 11.1, several versions from 9, and probable a select few others. I've tried flashing the ISO to multiple USB devices, as well as DVD-RW, from multiple programs and operating systems. I don't think boot media is my issue.
My hardware is AMD A6-3650 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 2600 Mhz
Dual Channel 4096 MB DDR3 for a total of ~8Gigs
Motherboard is AAHD2-HY HP "Holly"

After day one of troubleshooting, I came across the FreeBSD hardware requirements and couldn't find my motherboard's chipset, so I figured it just wasn't possible, and gave up. This morning, I decided to confirm that by loading up the latest FreeBSD on a USB, and whaddya know, it booted right up and installed with no problems, to FreeBSD compatibility doesn't seem to be the issue, either.

When installing older versions, it returns the screen from the attached image.

At this point, I'm wondering if it's possible to install FreeNAS on top of FreeBSD, rather than doing a clean install. I can't think of any other possible solutions. My bios options are severely limited, so I can't even change most of the settings that I see brought up in other threads.

Any help at all would be appreciated, I just can't make myself give up after getting FreeBSD to load.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• FreeNAS install freeze.jpg
    FreeNAS install freeze.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 219

Yorick

Wizard
to install FreeNAS on top of FreeBSD,

Not that I'm aware of. But you can most certainly run FreeBSD with ZFS and samba and all that stuff, you just won't have the middleware handling things for you.

Redcoat

MVP
Looks like you have a memory issue(s)

1588703807525.png

A lot of your 8GB doesn't seem to be recognized and the board/peripherals are stealing some 17% of what you do have.

FreeNAS is looking for 8GB today.

corvi

Cadet
Looks like you have a memory issue(s)

View attachment 38291

A lot of your 8GB doesn't seem to be recognized and the board/peripherals are stealing some 17% of what you do have.

FreeNAS is looking for 8GB today.
any idea of how to fix this, besides replacing the ram? I guess I could test it out with some other ram I have.

corvi

Cadet
any idea of how to fix this, besides replacing the ram? I guess I could test it out with some other ram I have.
also, would being a little below the RAM requirements cause it to hang so early, without a relevant error message?

Redcoat

MVP
Hmmmm - not sure that 58% below the RAM requirement woud pass as "being a little below"...
any idea of how to fix this
No idea - you'll have to look into the spec of your board and its requirements to see how to deal with that (or even if it's possible to do so).

corvi

Cadet
Shoot, I didn't even notice it was so low. Turns out I don't have any spare RAM that fits the slots, but I'll try moving the ones I do have around.

corvi

Cadet
System information and a memory test run through Ubuntu boot indicated that I've got 8 gigs working properly. No idea what causes the issue from my picture.

corvi

Cadet
System information and a memory test run through Ubuntu boot indicated that I've got 8 gigs working properly. No idea what causes the issue from my picture.
First, is there a way to edit previous posts, so I don't keep appending onto the thread talking to myself?

Second, I think I was premature calling the ram fine. Memtest is actually reporting only errors. I've never used this utility before, so I'm not quite sure what I'm reading, but Pass 0 Errors (in the millions and counting) doesn't seem good? Though, if the memory is that messed up, why does it boot other operating systems just fine?