Help: Installation Failures - Installer Panic Immediately after boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Bones757

Cadet
Hello,

I've recently acquired some new server hardware to host my FreeNAS setup - a Lenovo x3650 M5 Machine Type 5462
Its specs are:
CPU : E5 2603 v4 (6C/6T)
RAM : 8GB ECC
HBA/RAID: IBM ServeRaid M1215 Flashed to IT Mode (No Drives currently connected)
Firmware: Latest

I have been able to successfully run ESXi 6.5 and Windows Server 2012 (For testing) with no issues (For the last few weeks).

The Image below shows the error I'm receiving.
Note: I have searched the forums for this error and have tried everything i have come across including different USBs, different USB flashers (Etcher, Rufus), different USB ports, different bios configurations.
Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have tried many FreeNAS versions including 9.10, 11, 11 UX, 11.1-Release and 11.1 UX. All show the same error.

Cheers.

27267146_10211033479900873_749771716_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

Mr_Bones757

Cadet
Thanks for your reply @depasseg :)
I don't know how I didn't find that bug log.. I've been trying to get this to work for about the last 5 hours.
What was the resolution for this? Available in 11.1U2 if I'm reading that thread correctly.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
No resolution that I'm aware of. We haven't done any troubleshooting. I think the goal is to get a fix into 11.1U2.

It's good to have your data point though, because the errors look exactly the same.

Mr_Bones757

Cadet
Cool :)

Thanks for letting me know. If I can be of assistance since you mentioned I have different hardware do let me know and I'll try to provide as much info as I can.

I plan on trying some of the nightly builds tomorrow now I've found them. Will update this thread if I observe any different behavior.

Cheers.

Mr_Bones757

Cadet
Hello @depasseg ,
I was checking for updates and had noticed some progress on the bug page. Are we now closer to a resolution? If there is any testing required on my devices let me know. Thanks in advance!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
You can try downloading the ISO that they posted. It didn't boot for me (but it wasn't the same error as before, it just wasn't bootable).

Mr_Bones757

Cadet
Hello,
I finally had some time to try this today. My results were very similar to yours. When booting via USB, the UEFI was unable to see anything. Using uefi "boot from file" resulted in an empty directory visible to the server.

Mr_Bones757

Cadet
Just checking to see if any headway has been made in regards to the UEFI install. i see you last posted on the issue thread 15 days ago - i assume no further progress has been made from here?
Thanks

pschatz100

Guru
Just checking to see if any headway has been made in regards to the UEFI install. i see you last posted on the issue thread 15 days ago - i assume no further progress has been made from here?
Thanks
Does your machine bios offer the option to boot from BIOS (sometimes called legacy boot)? You can create a FreeNAS install for UEFI boot or for BIOS boot. Maybe you could try setting up for BIOS boot. I have an older Supermicro motherboard that will boot from some devices via UEFI, but for others it requires BIOS boot.

Mr_Bones757

Cadet
Hi, Thanks for the feedback. I believe i could do this, however i would wanting to host some virtual machines on it so having VNC support is rather important. When i get some time ill run through some install methods and see what works and what doesnt on my board and provide the information here.

Status
Not open for further replies.