SOLVED FreeNAS doesn't want to boot without monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggyk

Contributor
I have had this setup for over a year now but recently was having issues and then the other night my USB drive failed so installed FreeNAS again on a new USB and uploaded the config.. I noticed that I cannot get the GUI to show up when there is no monitor plugged in. I have to take the NAS and plug it into my TV and it boots fine. I have yet to try with another live USB to see if it boots.

I am sorry I don't know the model number but the mobo is a ASRock server grade board. Is there a way to see the boot process over the network? I'm booting into legacy as I have always been and the USB stick is set to boot first.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcoat

MVP
From what you say above I gather that you didn't set, or have forgotten, the static IP for the GUI and that you have not used IPMI on your Asrock board (which I imagine it has, being a server-class mobo).

So, the simplest move would be to find the IP address being assigned to the GUI. I assume that your router is assigning addresses (is the DHCP server). Can you boot the NAS system up connected to your network and look in your router's management page to find the address it has assigned? If you can do that, use it in your browser to get to the GUI.

Let us know how you get on - there are more potential steps if you get stuck.

biggyk

Contributor
Not home at the moment but I will check later. After uploading the config it was switched back to my static ip of 192.168.0.50. I can't see why it would change as soon as I boot without a monitor. I have to check if it indeed has IPMI, it has PXE and iSCSI that's all I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

biggyk

Contributor
asrock c236... checker my. order history and that what I have. no indication of ipmi though.

Redcoat

MVP
OK, no IPMI - I looked at the manual.

If you can't pick up the address from your router, plug the tv back in with the system still on the network and reboot - when the console menu comes up, note down the url for the GUI and use that. Did you have the static IP assigned in FreeNAS (and saved) or in your router against the NIC MAC address - if the latter, did you plug the network cable into the same LAN port as when you reserved the address in the router?

biggyk

Contributor
OK, no IPMI - I looked at the manual.

If you can't pick up the address from your router, plug the tv back in with the system still on the network and reboot - when the console menu comes up, note down the url for the GUI and use that. Did you have the static IP assigned in FreeNAS (and saved) or in your router against the NIC MAC address - if the latter, did you plug the network cable into the same LAN port as when you reserved the address in the router?
no I did not use the router to make. it static just in the freenas gui but it's fine for all this time. I should add the Mac address to the static in my router though just in case. yes I always use the same port igb0

joeschmuck

Old Man
I would recommend ensuring your IP adrress is Static in FreeNAS.

Also, your thread title indicates that FreeNAS isn't booting up with no monitor connected. But are you saying FreeNAS does boot but you don't know the IP address or are you stating FreeNAS fails to boot? If FreeNAS fails to boot, then does any OS boot without a monitor connected? What are your BIOS options for the video or boot options? Some BIOS options will halt if you don't have a Keyboard or Monitor connected.

You never included which version of FreeNAS youa re running, that may be helpful. Also in the GUI under SYSTEM -> ADVANCED -> Use Serial Console: and place a checkmark, this "may" help you out, it maynot also.

biggyk

Contributor
I would recommend ensuring your IP adrress is Static in FreeNAS.

Also, your thread title indicates that FreeNAS isn't booting up with no monitor connected. But are you saying FreeNAS does boot but you don't know the IP address or are you stating FreeNAS fails to boot? If FreeNAS fails to boot, then does any OS boot without a monitor connected? What are your BIOS options for the video or boot options? Some BIOS options will halt if you don't have a Keyboard or Monitor connected.

You never included which version of FreeNAS youa re running, that may be helpful. Also in the GUI under SYSTEM -> ADVANCED -> Use Serial Console: and place a checkmark, this "may" help you out, it maynot also.
I'm not saying it won't boot, what I'm staying is when it connected to a monitor after 5 mins I can access the gui with my static ip, if I turn it off unplug it and put it back to where it sits and restart it can be 30 mins and still no gui.

11.1 u2

Redcoat

MVP
Problem with the NAS power and/or network connection at the location "where it sits" or with the networked computer hosting the browser with which you are trying to connect to the GUI?

joeschmuck

Old Man
if I turn it off unplug it and put it back to where it sits and restart it can be 30 mins and still no gui.
So no GUI ever under this scenario? I assume No GUI ever is the answer.

Again, check the BIOS for the "HALT ON ERROR" (or similar) and ensure it is set to something that indicates halting on RAM only errors, or just disabled all together for troubleshooting purposes.

Lastly, did you install FreeNAS as UEFI or Legacy? If you installed via UEFI then I'd highly recommend you try Legacy, after all a Server Grade board should not have a boot failure with no monitor connected. But only try the Legacy option after verifying the BIOS setup is correct.

Also, the model of the motherboard may be helpful. "C236" is just the chipset, not the model. Also all your hardware specs should be included in this thread. You've been a member here for quite some time now so you should know this by now. Remember, we are trying to offer good sound advice but we need data in order to provide it.

Best of luck, hope it's just a BIOS setting.

biggyk

Contributor
it's the model number too. ASRock C236 WSI Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C236.

I always booted into legacy ever since I first started with freenas. Shouod be home soon and I can look further

joeschmuck

Old Man
it's the model number too. ASRock C236 WSI Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C236.

I always booted into legacy ever since I first started with freenas. Shouod be home soon and I can look further

Thanks, that possibly helps. I can look up the user manual now and see what the BIOS options are (I hope). But first I have something to do with my father, help him troubleshoot his engine. Damn electronic engines are a pain to figure out and troubleshoot. I really miss the air aspirated engines without computers.

biggyk

Contributor
So I believe I figured it out. Even though a monitor wasnt attached I still had a tiny dongle from a wireless keyboard in there. Looking at the bios logs, it kept saying unrecognized keyboard device. So I guess it was causing it to halt. Works fine when I monitor is plugged in though.

Figured this out after attaching a small tv in the room that the NAS normally sits in and then booting another headless OS and was able to access the gui.

PS no halt option in bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.