Freenas server doesn't want to start again

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUVRARD

Cadet
Hello,

I've bought about 2 years ago a used DELL PowerEdge T100 server with 3 drives in RAID 5 mode and Freenas as OS on a USB thumb drive. Last week, we may have had a main default and since then, the server doesn't start again. We can hear the fan starting 1 second or 2 and stop, start again for a second and stop again, and so on.Nothing to be seen on the monitor screen.

I suspect a problem with the PS, but can it be a problem with the USB thumb drive? I plugged it on my PC (Ubuntu), and it is not seen. Same on another PC with Windows 7. But maybe it is normal as it has the Freenas OS on it. Can someone tell me if there might be a problem with the USB thumb drive?

Then, the case being, I did not take note the version of Freenas that is installed on it, but it must be a version from the end of 2010 as I bought it at the beginning of 2011. Can I simply create a new USB thumb drive (with which version of Freenas?) and will then our RAID 5 system be recognize without trouble?

I must admit that I would prefer that it is simply a PS problem, this would be simpler to fix up. But now, I will certainly make a spare USB thumb drive, please tell me how I have to manage this.

Thanks in advance.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No, its more than likely your PS. Your USB stick failing would just lead to no OS loading. It's not even getting that far.

I'd do a PSU replacement before anything else.

OUVRARD

Cadet
No, its more than likely your PS. Your USB stick failing would just lead to no OS loading. It's not even getting that far.

I'd do a PSU replacement before anything else.

Thanks a lot for this very quick answer. I'll order a new PS and tell you if it works again.

Kind regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.