Boot pool degraded, twice in one week

Hi!

I am running a TrueNAS 12.0-Stable booting from USB thumb drives (mirrored). This machine has been running for about 20 months flawlessly but after upgrading from 11.x and at the same time swapping out both boot drives for new once, I have twice, in 8 days, had the mirror boot come up faulty and the boot depreciated. Each time it happened is at the time the system scrubbing is running. Both times I replaced the broken thumb drive with a new one, of exactly the same type, a Samsung FIT Plus 32 GB (can stand up to 85°C, the system has never been warmer than 40°C in this cooled environment). Boot drives then showed correct status. 7 days later at the time of the next scrub the new thumb drive was found faulty again. Both the faulty thumb drives have been tested on another computer with flash drive testing software and reformatted and found perfectly fit for operations.
The syslog is written to the main ZFS storage so this shouldn't affect the USB's lifespan.

Please advise! What could be the possible cause for version 12.0 to believe the mirror boot drive is faulty. It apparently is not due to hardware error even if TrueNAS believes so.

NOTE! I am aware that, now more, it is not the best practice to boot from USB thumb drives. But since this is a rack-mounted storage unit in a very packed datacenter, it is easier for me to access external USB boot drives and change them if necessary. It worked for 20 months so far and that is good for me, at the moment.

Config:
16 GB RAM
CPU: Intel core i7- 8700, 6 cores.
Motherboard: Don't remember (but plain of the shelf good quality)
Storge disks: Zpool of 4 x 4 TB WD harddrives

Thanks /Stefan