Mirrored boot Vol degraded which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvcad

Contributor
Hi all,
I've got a warning that the boot volume is degraded. I have 2 sandisk cruiser fit X 16GB mirrored for the boot volume. How do I know which is the faulty one?
If I got to boot status I get this:
upload_2018-10-27_21-2-58.png

Under storage > view disks I got this:
upload_2018-10-27_21-3-29.png

Hardware in my signature.
Thanks in advance.

mvcad

Contributor
I switched the system off and I noticed one of the USB sticks is flashing. Would that be the faulty one?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Take one out and try and boot. If it doesn't' boot you know it's the bad one.

mvcad

Contributor
Take one out and try and boot. If it doesn't' boot you know it's the bad one.
Didn't think of that. Thanks!. It worked!
FYI, it was the blinking one!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You might want to take the opportunity to replace your boot drive with something that's not a USB drive. Preferred solution would be an SSD they're much more long-lived. It can be a low capacity older unit it doesn't have to be a brand new, high capacity drive. You only need about maybe 15 gigabytes or less

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mvcad

Contributor
Thanks Chris, I ran out of sata ports for this build but I am definitely putting ssds for boot drives in my next freenas, which I am planning on building soon as a backup for my current Freenas box.

Stux

MVP
I use dd reads from devices to dev/null (with activity lights) to detect which one is which device. If the device in question is dead, I read from the others.

mvcad

Contributor
You might want to take the opportunity to replace your boot drive with something that's not a USB drive. Preferred solution would be an SSD they're much more long-lived. It can be a low capacity older unit it doesn't have to be a brand new, high capacity drive. You only need about maybe 15 gigabytes or less

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Hi Chris, can you recommend any brand or model for an ssd suitable to be used as boot? I just built a freenas box with a 120 gb wd green ssd as boot and I am getting checksum errors due to a firmware conflict with freenas. I read in the forums some models have this issue.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hi Chris, can you recommend any brand or model for an ssd suitable to be used as boot? I just built a freenas box with a 120 gb wd green ssd as boot and I am getting checksum errors due to a firmware conflict with FreeNAS. I read in the forums some models have this issue.
I am using a pair of these Kingston drives in one of the FreeNAS servers I have at work:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/60GB-SSD-6...Drive-Kingston-SV300S37A-60G-SSD/263678679756
They have been working fine for me but the drives I have the most experience with are the Intel SSDs like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-320-Series-40GB-Internal-2-5-SSDSA2CT040G3-SSD/323548302120
I have half a dozen of these in different servers as boot drives and they are great. I would recommend them even though they are slightly more money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.