Pool creation causes not able to boot without a monitor attached

kampi

Cadet
Hello Everyone!

I am new to TrueNas and also I have my first problem.

Here is my build:
- MSI MAG B460M Mortar Intel LGA1200 - Intel Core i3-10105 - Samsung SSD 840 (boot device) - Western Digital Red 1TB NAS SSD M.2 SATA - Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 Stores (2666 MHz, 2 x 8GB) - 2x 14TB WD Red Plus

Before TrueNAS installation I set up headless boot. I installed TrueNAS still everything was working fine. Then I started to creating pools. I created a pool for each drive. (I originally wanted JBOD, but since I couldn't find anything about it, I created a Stripe pool for each drive. Maybe this was my mistake?) And here is where it gets interesting. After pool creation the headless boot stopped working. If I turn my device on, then it won't get an IP. So I started to play with it, and removing the hard drives. After I disconnected my two WD Red Plus drives, the headless was working fine again (only the boot SSD and the M.2 SSD was connected.) If I reconnected one of my WD Red Plus then the headless boot didn't worked. I also noticed, that if my WD red Plus drives(or one of them) is connected, and I connect a monitor to my build, then it boots fine, but it doesn't boot without a monitor. So I reconnected both of the drives, and deleted the pools. And the headless boot is working again.
So basically, if I create a pool on one of the WD Read Plus drives, I can't boot headless. A monitor has to be attached to the machine.

Does anyone has any idea why this is happening, and how can I solve it?

Thanks in advance!

blanchet

Guru
If it may help

On my Shuttle DS77u, I have to disable the serial ports in the BIOS otherwise I cannot boot headless.

kampi

Cadet
Thanks, but this board doesn't have serial ports. What's bugging me is that if I delete the pool or disconnect one of the WD red drives then it does boot headless. It doesn't make much sense to me.

emzi

Cadet
Have you resolved your problem? I have thesame issue but with Toshiba drives.

kampi

Cadet
Have you resolved your problem? I have thesame issue but with Toshiba drives.
Unfortunately not. I bought a long hdmi cable so it detects my monitor. But if you find a solution I really would like to hear it. This is still bugging me, and if it worked as it should I could remove this cable.

kampi

Cadet

Arwen

MVP
@kampi Glad you have something that works. My post was also to both @emzi and others that may read this thread.

Sorry, that created pool problem is a weird one for me.

emzi

Cadet
Thanks guys for quick response, i thought this topic is dead. That fake monitor seems to be great idea. Thank god i dont have to add graphic card because i need my setup to be as energy efficient as possible. That's why i have i5-10500t.

emzi

Cadet
I bought this fake monitor and it works perfectly. It may not be the most elegant solution, but it's cheap and it works