SOLVED No Network On Boot Without Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So something interesting started happening. My NAS stopped being available on my network a few weeks ago (potentially after the last time I updated). I'm currently on the latest stable 9.10 and there are no other updates available at the time of this post.

I run it headless, so to troubleshoot I plugged in a monitor. Once I did, it booted fine and got an IP address and was available on my network. Weird. Ok so I unhook the monitor and reboot. Not available on the network (I check by what's connected to my router). I plug the monitor in again and everything works fine. Unplug, and again, it doesn't work.

It had been working headless for months and now it won't. I know there's a bios setting related to plugged in peripherals, but my bios settings/version haven't changed. The only thing that changed recently was just updating stable 9.10. I was already on 9.10 from the start so I wasn't doing a version update or anything.

Any ideas?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I can't think of anything that would cause that. As per the forum rules, can we get a full listing of all of your hardware?

jlpellet

Patron
I suggest ensuring you are on 9.10.1 or the May 9.10. This could be related to a video issue that arose in the last 9.10 where some systems would not boot without a monitor, which would seem to match your symptoms. As I recall, the technical issue was that the release expected the video chip to support VGA but some recent chipsets have only digital (HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort). Hope this helps.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I suggest ensuring you are on 9.10.1 or the May 9.10. This could be related to a video issue that arose in the last 9.10 where some systems would not boot without a monitor, which would seem to match your symptoms. As I recall, the technical issue was that the release expected the video chip to support VGA but some recent chipsets have only digital (HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort). Hope this helps.
Very interesting. Sorry I was unaware of this in my initial reply. Thanks @jlpellet

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Side note, if you have an ASRock Motherboard, it may be actual hardware failing...
"Dead ASRock C2750D4I and poor customer service?"

BTW, Welcome... Always good to have another Virginian.. :)
Nah, symptoms don't fit.
Stuff has been going on with the local consoles and the situation is a bit convoluted.

From what I understand, there are two console applications. One legacy (sc) and one with many bells and whistles (vt). Unsurprisingly, the new one broke stuff for many people once it was added, so the old one was forced. *That* broke the local console on systems booting from UEFI (my old server works fine, except that it has no local console!).
The next update is supposed to include a workaround, with better logic to choose which console to use. That should "fix" things for everyone.

Ah thanks guys! I do remember reading that one of the changes before my last update had to do with startup issues related to video. Funny that it broke things. It sounds like I just need to wait for the next update.

My motherboard is an ASRock H170M but it's definitely not hardware failure. There's no VGA on the board so that must be the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.