FreeNAS Beginner questions relating build/other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, now I think I understand more of what you are looking at.

No matter what the server will be loud (especially a 1U or 2U), they are not designed to sit in a bedroom or other area you want quiet so plan to run a long cable. They are loud because they move air to keep things cool. Turning the fans down just cooks the drives and internals. You could potentially dampen some of the sound with a cabinet or cover but it still needs full airflow.

The Dell you linked has a H700 SAS controller, it's raid and from what I can tell no crossflash so you will need to either hope that you can hook up the drives direct to the MoBo or sell the H700 and get something that can be flashed into IT mode. That is one of the issues with used stuff, you get it how they have it so you may have to make changes. The idea is to make as few as possible for the least cost possible in my book.

Even with dual power supplies you will want a UPS, two power supplies are worthless when the main lines go down. You could have ten power supplies for that matter, the only advantage that multiple power supplies gives is that if a power supply fails it will continue running.

Accessing from away from home is best done with a VPN, there is a tutorial to do it on the FreeNAS itself or if you have a router that has the horsepower it can be done there. A VPN should probably be something like OpenVPN, and if it's a Dlink or Linksys kind of router that has wifi among other things in a little box it's not a good candidate. If you are going to be out and about however you may still want to use one of your USB drives as the transfer speeds will be better than through the internet (this is because your home internet upload speed is the cap while you are on the go along with the upload/download speeds where you are at). A torrent client is no problem it's basically a click, install, add OpenVPN as a client and then get it running.

Remember that with 10 GBe you will also need an adapter for the computers that need the fast access and a switch that supports it. If you have been running off of USB drives Gigabit will still probably be better than what you have been using IMHO and you can always upgrade that part later on and get a little fancier. I would suggest getting something up and running for the pictures and such first.

With 8 drive bays I would look at 4TB drives and probably 8 in a RaidZ2 or RaidZ3 personally. It would give you around 12 to 16 TB of storage at around 500 to 600 MBps transfer on the pool. You could do mirrors as well to add more drives over time but you do lose some things with it vs a RaidZ2 or RaidZ3.

As far as testing things out and seeing how it works you can use the i7 system you talked about, just don't store ANYTHING on it that you don't mind flushing down the toilet at any moment. It's not too different from what I started learning with. It was an older AMD system that barely supported FreeNAS but it let me work through things and get an understanding of how to make it all work correctly. Then when funding came available I made a purchase here and a purchase there. At one point I had the MoBo I have now sitting on a wooden table with a PSU hooked up along with a drive attached and running as I didn't have the case yet. I was originally planning to build my own case but was due for shoulder surgery and wanted it done so I ended up with the Rosewill I linked above.

Anyway tinker around with what you have so you can get a feel for how it works and see if the setup will work for you. I would probably stripe a couple drives together for faster speed to begin with in testing since the pool will be much faster than a single drive. Then see how things work. It will be faster and more stable on a final system and during tinkering as I already said do not store anything on it that you can not lose completely, forever, in a pit at the bottom of the ocean.

themagictractor

Dabbler
Ok, now I think I understand more of what you are looking at.

No matter what the server will be loud (especially a 1U or 2U), they are not designed to sit in a bedroom or other area you want quiet so plan to run a long cable. They are loud because they move air to keep things cool. Turning the fans down just cooks the drives and internals. You could potentially dampen some of the sound with a cabinet or cover but it still needs full airflow.

The Dell you linked has a H700 SAS controller, it's raid and from what I can tell no crossflash so you will need to either hope that you can hook up the drives direct to the MoBo or sell the H700 and get something that can be flashed into IT mode. That is one of the issues with used stuff, you get it how they have it so you may have to make changes. The idea is to make as few as possible for the least cost possible in my book.

Even with dual power supplies you will want a UPS, two power supplies are worthless when the main lines go down. You could have ten power supplies for that matter, the only advantage that multiple power supplies gives is that if a power supply fails it will continue running.

Accessing from away from home is best done with a VPN, there is a tutorial to do it on the FreeNAS itself or if you have a router that has the horsepower it can be done there. A VPN should probably be something like OpenVPN, and if it's a Dlink or Linksys kind of router that has wifi among other things in a little box it's not a good candidate. If you are going to be out and about however you may still want to use one of your USB drives as the transfer speeds will be better than through the internet (this is because your home internet upload speed is the cap while you are on the go along with the upload/download speeds where you are at). A torrent client is no problem it's basically a click, install, add OpenVPN as a client and then get it running.

Remember that with 10 GBe you will also need an adapter for the computers that need the fast access and a switch that supports it. If you have been running off of USB drives Gigabit will still probably be better than what you have been using IMHO and you can always upgrade that part later on and get a little fancier. I would suggest getting something up and running for the pictures and such first.

With 8 drive bays I would look at 4TB drives and probably 8 in a RaidZ2 or RaidZ3 personally. It would give you around 12 to 16 TB of storage at around 500 to 600 MBps transfer on the pool. You could do mirrors as well to add more drives over time but you do lose some things with it vs a RaidZ2 or RaidZ3.

As far as testing things out and seeing how it works you can use the i7 system you talked about, just don't store ANYTHING on it that you don't mind flushing down the toilet at any moment. It's not too different from what I started learning with. It was an older AMD system that barely supported FreeNAS but it let me work through things and get an understanding of how to make it all work correctly. Then when funding came available I made a purchase here and a purchase there. At one point I had the MoBo I have now sitting on a wooden table with a PSU hooked up along with a drive attached and running as I didn't have the case yet. I was originally planning to build my own case but was due for shoulder surgery and wanted it done so I ended up with the Rosewill I linked above.

Anyway tinker around with what you have so you can get a feel for how it works and see if the setup will work for you. I would probably stripe a couple drives together for faster speed to begin with in testing since the pool will be much faster than a single drive. Then see how things work. It will be faster and more stable on a final system and during tinkering as I already said do not store anything on it that you can not lose completely, forever, in a pit at the bottom of the ocean.
Perfect, these are all the answers i was looking for!

I plan on buying a few cheapo 320/500gb used drives for $20 a piece and experimenting with RAID configs on my old i7 computer, as well as trying to get FreeNAS to actually work with everything, before splurging on the server. So far i've just played around in a VM and its a little confusing but i'm reading plenty of tutorials on how to get started so I reckon i can move forward fairly quickly.

I'll buy two 10gbe cards, one for the desktop PC and one for the Dell and just connect em to each other through a cable, at the moment I don't think i'll need a switch because other then that computer (and my macbook which I guess i'll deal with regular gigabit speeds until I can find a solution) there will be no other computers that will need such fast speed on my network, and it saves me some money from not getting a switch straight away (although I will buy one down the line for sure)

One last question, if for example in a few years time I decide this isnt enough power or I want to expand further, how easy is it to carry everything over into a new machine? Is it as simple as taking out the usb that has the OS on it and taking the HDD's out and just plopping them into a new unit? Im imaginging theres probably a bit more work required but if its that simple then sweet.

I'll definitely look into VPN's, my dad is a software engineer and strongly suggested not to do port forwarding since its fairly easy to break into a server without the right encrpytion/protection, and a VPN seems to be the best option at the moment. In the mean time, ill just carry the drives with me, they are fairly light (i have a few portable my passport drives)

I'll definitely be purchasing a UPS in the near future as well since my house experiences power failures a few times a year, invoncenient but not something I want to happen to something thats meant to be as reliable as this. I did a bit of reading and found the newer Dell R510/R710 servers are fairly quiet if put inside an enclosure, my only issue now is finding a sound proof cabinet that isnt the size of a small neighbourhood to house this in haha

I can either find 600mm depth cabinets that are super duper tall, clearly made for 10 or so of these servers, or cabinets that are perfect in height (to stick under my desk) and price (under 150 dollars) but are so shallow (450mm is the biggest ive found) Is my only option going to be custom made? I fear the cabinet will cost more then the server haha

Either way, thanks again so much, everyone here has been a massive help and my FreeNAS journey is now substantially less cloudy and head scratchingly confusing!

Inxsible

Guru
Since you want to game on the same server -- you might want to look into a hypervisor. Many people use ESXi here on the forums. This does make things a bit complicated. I don't use ESXi, so others can probably fill in the details or you can search the forums. FreeNAS on bare metal is not gonna allow you to install games.

Inxsible

Guru
if for example in a few years time I decide this isnt enough power or I want to expand further, how easy is it to carry everything over into a new machine? Is it as simple as taking out the usb that has the OS on it and taking the HDD's out and just plopping them into a new unit?
Yes, it is that simple.

The only thing you would have to do is to configure the network/IP on the new machine via the CLI. Very easy to do. When you get to that point, reach out on the forums, but I am sure by then, you will be well versed on how to do simple things like that even if you are not a CLI guru.

Since you want to game on the same server -- you might want to look into a hypervisor. Many people use ESXi here on the forums. This does make things a bit complicated. I don't use ESXi, so others can probably fill in the details or you can search the forums. FreeNAS on bare metal is not gonna allow you to install games.

He is looking to game on his computer with an SSD and store the games on the server. It can be done and if things are setup correctly it's nearly seamless.

As far as transferring to a new system pull the boot drives and stick them in the new server. Same for the pool. Only thing you may need to do is hook up a keyboard and mouse and reconfigure the network. It's all prompted so honestly it's not even CLI. It's not point and click but pressing whatever number and hitting enter is just menu system like the installer.

Getting used drives is fine to start off with but as they are used I would make sure to run some hot spares and TEST TEST TEST. When you do decide to expand beyond 500GB drives buy new. Then you just replace all the drives in the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.